lisa solomon


wall work 1, originally uploaded by dressform.

i am so in love with this installation by lisa solomon. what i'm digging is her restraint in using red; so difficult to do i would imagine and the 3d/2d effect. the doilie design is so stunning. they look like snowflakes floating about; how i would love this on my wall.

a recent interview on whipup explains a little bit about her style of work: "Often times I respond to a found material or paper – like rifle targets or vintage school paper [do you remember the kind that had a big space up top to draw and some lines on the bottom to write?? That kind!]. I have always loved and respected all things crafty and thus also wanted to incorporate those types of elements in my artwork. Thus there is often embroidery – thread of some kind, crochet, or other such things in my work. I tend to like to use thread as a drawing element. As a line quality. I have this whole philosophy of the front side vs. the back side of embroidery – and how both sides are actually beautiful and imply different things. I am really drawn to the idea of the domestic [celebrating that] – of how we clue into what is read as masculine and what is read as feminine. I am also fond of the idea of noticing the ordinary… And I’m fond of space…. How negative space is just as important as positive space.

I tend to see myself and my work in a framework of being hybrids… The idea that things cross pollinate and inform one another to become something different". read more here.

this installation named wall works 2 is on till august at the traywick contemporary gallery in berkely, california. you can also check out more of lisa's art at her website lisasolomon.com and be sure to check out her shop here for stationary, checkbook cozies, buttons and more.

Jan Halvarson

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

love lisa's work! she has such a range, too...

Anonymous said...

lisa is awesome. so super nice and uniquely talented. love her work.

lisa solomon said...

jan... thank you so much for such kind words. i am honored and BLUSHING!

what a joy it has been to find you... i get inspired by your site daily!

IMEDAGOZE said...

couldn't agree with you more... :) her works are inspiring!

Jan Halvarson said...

definitely gorgeous stuff girls - and lisa it was my pleasure! love these so much!

andrea said...

well, I guess I already stated how I feel about the fantastic lisa and this wall works installation... but it's worth saying again: totally crazy about it.

just, the color and placement... the reds and pinks, the designs of the doilies. what fantastic work. and I love this particular photo you've chosen to show too. just so good.

Jan Halvarson said...

i know i could go on and on with it.