claire platt - uwe student degree show exhibit


i came across this amazing display of embroidery work from the uwe degree show in england by student, claire platt. posted on flickr by crunch candy. i happened upon it after searching for embroidery art there and landed upon this golden nugget. her artist statement on her blog for this piece states, "My work is primarily concerned with the 'female' language of stitch and it's decorative qualities. I play with a recognised formal portrait format and anatomical drawings. I hope to engage the viewer in questioning recognition of their own body and their similarities with others." you can see more close-up shots on her blog. i like the surprise of sequines mixed within the embroidery.


Jan Halvarson

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is incredible! thank you so much for sharing this!

Anonymous said...

I love the display as well as the work. I like how they work as a huge collection, nicely posted.

lisa solomon said...

a girl after my own heart. literally.

alice said...

it's great to see you feature Claire's work- hope she gets to see this too. (crunchcandy)

Camilla said...

ooops- I was logged in as someone else- this is me (crunchcandy/Camilla)

cindy said...

seriously beautiful work. thanks jan.

Anonymous said...

heyy! thanks so much for featuring my work! i'm well chuffed :) and thanks everyone else for your kind words! :)! this made my day!
claire x

Anonymous said...

Wow. I love this. Thanks for sharing!

Elka Amorim said...

I loved this work. I'm wondering how i can get in touch with the artist. If you liked her work, you might also like mine...we have some things in common thematicly.Check out my blog: elkaamorim.blogspot.com

Kickcan & Conkers said...

Amazing !