Collecting: Victoria of sfgirlbybay



i loved reading victoria's take on her portrait paintings collection when she sent it over. i know i read the story before about rico, but seeing it all together here in this setting, is just endearing in an sfgirlbybay way. victoria has one of those californian apartments we all dreamed about growing up. bay windows, white fluffy carpet and lots of cool art. here's her words on her portraits and check back soon for a few other collections she's got coming our way!

why you collect these items and how your collection started?
I started collecting portrait paintings, when I found Rico Suave at the flea market one day. I've always been a fan of those whole walls you see, filled with portraits, so I'm attempting that for myself. I just started collecting them a few years ago, so I'm just in the beginning phase! I like the irony I find in them, and I like to concoct stories about the people in my portraits.



how do you display them or would like to display them?
I have them mostly in groupings, together, as if they are a family. Ultimately, I will have one whole wall of them grouped together.



what are your favorite pieces in the collection, is there anything unique?
I suppose I love Rico the most, since he was my 'first'. I did a post about the relationship between Rico and Emma Lou awhile back: read here

"The story goes that Rico was doing odd jobs to make ends meet around Atlanta, Georgia, by way of Florida, by way of the Keys, by way of Havana. Anyway, one warm, humid night at a steamy, Atlanta dive bar, Past Perfect, Rico's working his night gig, playing a mean set of bongos in a local Rumba band, when in walks Emma Lou and her very blond sorority sisters. Tipsy, snickering and pointing out Rico's fine rhythm on the bongos, Rico couldn't help but notice in comparison, Emma Lou's refined manners, shiny brunette locks, and the secret smile behind her ruby painted lips. She obviously dug his beat. He sent over a Cuba Libre. And the rest is history. Hanging on my walls. Together at last. The end."

I now imagine that the older woman is Rico's mother, Senorita Suave, the matriarch of the family. She and Emma Lou clash at times and vie for Rico's affections.



what piece are you most looking for, and what piece would complete your collection?
I'm not sure, but I'll know it when I see it. Perhaps Rico and Emma Lou's childrens' portraits.

besides this collection, if you could collect anything in the world, what would it be?
I've often thought about collecting glass paperweights like Collette.

Jan Halvarson

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your interviews on 'collecting', they are fabulous. Also I just want to say I LOVE your new header :)

Joanna Goddard said...

i LOVE this collecting series. it's such a great idea.

fyi, i'm excited to post about it on Cookie Magazine's website on Monday morning at 9am. it will be here:

http://www.cookiemag.com/magazine/blogs/nesting/

i'm sure our readers will love it. thank you so much!! xoxo joanna

sfgirlbybay said...

thanks jan - it's so much fun to be included!

Jan Halvarson said...

babelfish - thanks - that means alot coming from you!

joanna - oh! what a nice surprise! thank you!

victoria - thanks for participating!

Shay said...

I am loving all the stories on collecting. As a passionate collector I can relate on so many levels.
Thanks- Poppy for a wonderful blog.
Victoria- lovin your SF pad.
xo Shay

Olha Pryymak said...

how cool! sfgirlbaby should be curating art shows, she definitely got the knack!
Happy to find your blog, looking forward to new posts