collecting: poppytalk {canadian stamps}



i have a crazy stamp collection thanks to my father. it's rather out of control to be honest. he ordered them (each of us kids got a beautiful compartmented case to house them) and envelopes of stamps were mailed to us probably on a weekly basis for eons. for some reason all of them are with me now and i have no idea what to do with them other than to draw inspiration from. i hope one day (when i have more time) to investigate these little gems. i've been secretly hoping there's a really rare one in these piles (you know, worth millions!) psssssst! these are just a few samples of the "canadian" ones. {click on images to enlarge}.



{canadian history in postage stamps - series 2}


{meteorology 1968}

{peaceful uses}


{1964 quebec conference}


{le curling '60's}

{various canadian stamps}

Jan Halvarson

17 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Beautiful post! I just love the design of these vintage stamps. Nice design inspiration... Love the curling ones, great graphic and colors

wonting said...

Canadian stamps are so cool, I'm jealous!
Here are some stamps from Hong Kong that I posted on my blog: http://wonting.blogspot.com/2007/11/great-flickr-find.html

TIG said...

Great collection, Jan. I just stopped in to say that I love your new header!

Fiona Cartolina said...

brilliant fun!
Love your stamps!
What a geek you are - just like me!

Katie said...

I love that curling is le curling in French!!!

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness, this is awesome!! your collection of collection posts keeps getting better and better.

Jan Halvarson said...

thanks for your comments everyone and wonting - those ones from hong kong are beautiful.

JustAnotherDay said...

Beautiful Stamps! I use to collect when I was younger, I think now, I may make artistic groupings of them and frame them for artwork!

perfectbound said...

I only wish our stamps still looked like these! Lovely collection, Jan!

Anonymous said...

Jan, your stamp collection is beautiful.It will look great on your wall.

M said...

I have a stamp collection too, mostly Canadian. Glad to see I'm not alone. Great post!

Hollie said...

This is such a gorgeous and amazing collection!

Unknown said...

you have just inspired me to go to the far reaches of my basement where i too have both my mother's and father's stamp collection. what amazing inspiration! i had not really thought of mining these for illustration ideas until now. thanks!

katelynjane said...

I collect stamps too. It sounds like such a nerdy thing to collect but it's so calming and inspiring!!

Unknown said...

GORGEOUS Collection!!!

PS I love your new blog header

Anonymous said...

I love your canadian collection :)