phm studio spaces: yellow owl workshop

4

Artist Name: Christine Schmidt
Shop Name and Url: www.yellowowlworkshop.com
Website: www.yellowowlworkshop.com
Poppytalk Handmade Table: Table 147
Blog: www.yellowowlworkshop.blogspot.com
City: San Francisco, CA

Where in your home/apartment is your studio located?
Our house is on top of Bernal Hill in SF. My loverboy, Evan, and I live on the second floor and my studio is on the bottom floor.

What equipment/tools do you use�
I like to switch up media with regularity, but for Yellow Owl Workshop I mainly create screen prints and linocuts.

1

Do you have an inspiration board, and can you tell us what is inspiring you now?
I am interested in symbols, both abstract and naturalistic. Heraldry, military decorations, scout patches, the attributes of saints. I am also really feeling the symmetry,bold colors and stylized imagery of Navajo blankets. Just began construction on an installation for my booth at the National Stationery show - sort of a summer camp interpretation of Native American themes.

How do you create best (e.g. do you listen to music while you create and if so what?)
I love me some talk radio. "This American Life" and "Radio Lab" are my favorites.


3

2

List (3) of your favorite artists:

I have been reading about the Reformation and looking at the different ways artists try to visually represent the hidden.
Lucas Cranach the Elder
Roger van der Weyden
Hans Baldung Grien

5

If yours isn't, what would be your perfect studio?
If my studio didn't flood it would be pretty perfect. And I wish somebody would clean it once in a while. Gheeesh.

Thanks Christine!

Jan Halvarson

1 comment:

Kelly Lynn Jones said...

she makes some great stuff!