phm studio spaces: laurie cinotto

2233662951_d22dc24587_b

Artist Name: Laurie Cinotto
Shop Name and Url: lalalaurie.etsy.com
Website: lauriecinotto.blogspot.com
Blog: lauriecinotto.blogspot.com
Poppytalk Handmade: Table 60
City: Tacoma, WA USA

413816673_00be3e1060_b

Where in your home/apartment/city is your studio located?
I converted one of the bedrooms of our house into my "hobbies room". This is where most of my crafting happens.

What equipment/tools do you use?
Craft punches, hot glue gun, sewing machine, crock pot ( for warming wax), many varieties of scissors, paper cutters etc.

413825081_5b773bee69_b


Do you have an inspiration board, and can you tell us what is inspiring you now?
I don't have an inspiration board, but I tend to surround objects that inspire me at my finger tips. In addition to being a art making space, the Hobbies Room houses many of my collections. I need lots of eye candy around me. I collect lucite paper weights, vintage birthday candles, incomplete craft projects found in thrift stores, floral tea tins, matchbooks, just to name a few.

I am inspired by vintage millenary trims, vintage craft magazines and patterns, decorations for proms, birthday parties, and weddings from eras gone by, wall paper and fabric.

413821531_0680c0be99_b

How do you create best (e.g. do you listen to music while you create and if so what?)
I create best when there's lots of light pouring in my workspace and the kittens are asleep. ( We foster kittens, and it's often difficult to work if they are stirring about) I listen to music while I work, or I listen to archived episodes of This American Life. Some of my favorite bands to craft by are: Velvet Underground, Magnetic Fields, Neutral Milk Hotel, Mama Cass and Wes Anderson movie soundtracks. I also listen to KEXP and KCRW online.

2234448352_82d24d7bcc_b

List (3) of your favorite artists
Here are three of my artist friends who make amazing and inspiring work.
Stephanie DeArmond
Nicholas Nyland
Saya Moriyasu

If yours isn't, what would be your perfect studio?
I am pretty content being in my space. I worked hard to make it a comfortable space to be and work in. I wish I could make it larger though. I would love to have room for another work surface and more storage. My tables fill up quickly when I start making messes.

Thanks Laurie!

413815638_b482034336_b

Jan Halvarson

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great image with the 'farm wallpaper'...who made that, I'm so curious? Thank for doing these great studio tours Jan.

Laurie Cinotto said...

The farm scene is a vintage print on corrugated paper. I am guessing it must of been a display in a old grocery store or butcher shop perhaps. I found it in a junk shop here in Tacoma.

Eva / Sycamore Street Press said...

i was going to ask about the cow mural, too. what a find!