phm studio spaces: melissa moss art

MOSS painting table

Artist Name: Melissa Moss
Shop Name and Url: Melissa Moss Art, www.melissamossart.com
Website: www.melissamossart.com
Blog: www.melissamossart.blogspot.com
City: Los Angeles

Where in your home/apartment/city is your studio located?
My studio is in what used to be the dining room. I have a 9-month-old son (Sam) and gladly gave up my studio to turn it into a lovely nursery for him.

MOSS studio with Sam

What equipment/tools do you use?
I paint on wood with acrylic. My favorite brush is a tiny 20/0 Princeton brush. I use it for all of my detail work.


Do you have an inspiration board, and can you tell us what is inspiring you now?
No, I don't have an inspiration board. When an idea hits me I try to quickly jot it down in my sketchbook before I forget it. Sam is all the inspiration I need at the moment. The love I feel for him is overwhelming and he's delightful to be with all day. The ideas are flowing. I just have to find the time to paint them.


How do you create best (e.g. do you listen to music while you create and if so what?)
It's strange but I work best with the TV on. I don't watch, I just listen. I prefer any of the Law & Order shows or what my husband calls DBTV (Dead Body TV). It doesn't seem too inspirational but somehow it's better than music when I'm painting tiny details.

MOSS studio_computer_printers

List (3) of your favorite artists

Amy Sol
Luke Chueh
Darren Waterston


If yours isn't, what would be your perfect studio?
This is definitely not my perfect studio. I dream about a bigger space where I can be messy and work on larger pieces. My husband and I have a fantasy of owning a house with a big red barn on the property. He's a musician so both of our studios would be in the barn. But I would also settle for just a room of my own that isn't in the middle of the house!

Thank you Melissa!

MOSS_studio_inspiration

Jan Halvarson

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally identified with her remarks about Law & Order. For some reason this always seems to be on TV when I'm painting!

melissa moss said...

Thanks so much for posting, Jan!

And it's nice to see someone else out there likes DB TV!

kelseychristiansonwilliams said...

thanks for sharing your space, melissa. it's beautiful--and so is your son!

Joanna Goddard said...

yeah, marcel dzama! her space (and baby) are SO cute!

Cathy Nichols Art said...

What a cute assistant, Melissa! And thank you to the editors of Poppytalk for posting this series. I've just returned from IKEA and set up the initial workspace in my new sun room studio. This is very inspiring.