special Guest Post: by Abbey Hendrickson (aesthetic outburst)

DAY 2: BEAUTY IN MUNDANE

IMAGE-#6
You’re back! Today I wanted to share one of my other obsessions. My husband and I…okay, okay…I collect bread bag ties. Yes, bread bag ties. I came across a giant bag of them at a yard sale for 25 cents and then our friend Marcie found some and helped the collection along. I’ve been collecting them for four years now and love the variety of colors. Plus, anything looks better when you put it under a cloche, right? Carbohydrate intake aside, collecting something like this is based on my personal interest in finding beauty in the mundane. If we’re going to get more philosophical for a minute…just a quick minute…I think our generation is working towards teaching others to do the same (hello, DIY movement). Here are some examples…

IMAGE #7 from 2002ttorry



IMAGE #8 from tehqueen



IMAGE #9 by wardomatic



10 and from frankier27

aesthetic outburst
how now design

Jan Halvarson

19 comments:

Lobster and swan said...

this patchwork of shipping containers is great! And the bread tags under the cloche do indeed make a lovely display.

jon said...

i love that you collect bread tags! I love them too

heather smith jones said...

I've always wondered what to do with the hundreds of bread tags we collect!

happytape! said...

i love your tag display! perfect!

Our Green Nest said...

Beautiful shots!!

aimee said...

oh my goodness, what a find! thanks to heather for leading me to your wonderful blog. eye candy all over. love it!

Jan Halvarson said...

i love that idea of those bread bag tags!

Unknown said...

I love these photos. they are geometric and inspiring. Thank you Abbey!

Tracey said...

Bread bag ties- something pretty out of, lets face it, everyone else's junk! Very creative!

Unknown said...

The photo of the spinning umbrella (?) is fantastic! Looks like a skirt spinning around a dancing girl.

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

your collection of bread tags is beautiful!!

Banana-head Pancake said...

a great collection ~ I love most everything in multiples.

Harley Dee said...

I understand finding coolness in what is otherwise considered mundane.. I collect sand from all over and put it in clear bottles. You'd be amazed at how much the color of sand in Hawaii differs from the sand in Mexico :)

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Thanks, everyone! I'm happy to hear that you all find beauty in the everyday too! :)

Anairam said...

I LOVE your bread tie collection and the way you displayed it. I am a serial collector of stuff, so maybe I can ask your advice. What interesting project can you dream up for a collection of hundreds of paper towel inners (and toilet paper roll inners). I feel that I MUST be able to do something beautiful with them, but what?!

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Thanks, anairam! Here are some ideas:
-paint the paper towl/toilet paper cardboard and then tack them to a wall- they'd make an interesting undulating texture
-use them to make a massive cardboard mobile
-pile them in an empty fireplace- kind of like the logs in the Wood Piles post
-donate them to a children's art program for others to make beautiful things
-make kaleidoscopes
Does anyone else have ideas???

Jan Halvarson said...

Great ideas Abbey!

Just off the top of my head....um

1) window treatments - each connected - hanging over a window....ok ok - i know, you have to imagine a bit....
2) paper mache them together to create a sculpture
3) binoculars

: )

Anyone else?

Anairam said...

Thanks already, dear creative people! I especially like the massive mobile and window treatment ideas (I kind of have a vision of what you mean, poppy ...)
Will work on both these ideas and let you know when there is a finished product.

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Yes, please do! Can't wait to see.
-Abbey