The Thing - Issue 2

thething

Last year I posted about THE THING, an object-based quarterly publication. They are now in their second year and are about to launch a new issue. The launch which will take place this coming June 21st at Outpost for Contemporary Art from 3-7 in Lost Angeles. They are inviting the public to come and help wrap the issue, drink beer, eat pizza and listen to records.

Issue 2 of THE THING is by Anne Walsh. Each year, THE THING invites four artists, writers, musicians or filmmakers to create an everyday object that somehow incorporates text. The object is reproduced and hand wrapped at wrapping parties and then mailed to the homes of the subscribers with the help of the United States Postal Service.

THE THING began as an experimental publication by San Francisco based visual artists Jonn Herschend and Will Rogan. Past contributers to THE THING have included Miranda July, Tucker Nichols and Kota Ezawa. And future issues will feature work by the writer Jonathan Lethem, the visual artists Allora & Calzadilla, and the experimental geographer Trevor Paglen.

You'll notice from the photo that this issue is a wedge, or doorstop. The text in this issue is a letter written to Billie Jean King in 1973 just after her victory in the "Battle of the Sexes" tennis match.

thethingquarterly.com/

Jan Halvarson

2 comments:

pamela michelle said...

oh my! I just about spit my coffee on my screen when i saw those mustache handkerchiefs. They are too cool. I would totally buy one for my father, then steal it back from him to wear myself.

Hey There! said...

That is probably the nicest thing anyone has ever said about my hankies! thanks!