camp out in your backyard

teepee1Interior decorator, Ariel Ashe updated this teepee for friend and actress, Jennifer Carpenter using fabric by Hable Construction (as seen in the Summer 2008 issue of O at Home). Chairs by Toord Boontje for Moroso. Look inside the interior of Jennifer Carpenter's home here.

Over the weekend we picked up a tent to pitch in the back (a new summer space to go to, to read a book, snack or just lay back and grab a different outlook). And then today I was paging through O at Home again which reminded me that I've been seeing teepees popping up here and there in magazines and catalogues alot lately. The one from O at Home (above) is from actress Jennifer Carpenter's backyard. I started looking online for good how to's on making one and although the Ktunaxa people are the ones to teach us, I couldn't find anything directly from them. Below you will find a link to a video how-to (that seems easy enough if you have long branched trees nearby) and this pattern based on the Plains Indian Teepee from shelterpub.com. And then I got to thinking, why not pull out the whole kit? Summer camp in the backyard. So if you're like us this summer, stuck in the city, this might be the ticket.

campTipi from gandiablasco.com, lantern from Toast, fire pit grill from Toast, beanbag seat from pbteen.com, binoculars from Canadian Tire and heavy duty cot from cabelas.com.

teepee2Toast out of the UK had this one in their summer catalogue which I posted this past month. I love this image and wish I could jump into it each time I see it. (I thought it was worthy of another look).

HOW-TO VIDEO on making your own teepee. A family of three constructs a huge teepee from the trees around them. (The furniture goes in first).



Picture 1Update: Thanks to reader Anne of Prêt à Voyager for letting us know about the new Steven Harrington traveling art show which has lots of fun teepees. Click here to find out more. Thanks Anne!

Jan Halvarson

6 comments:

Courtney said...

that Hable tent is just too darn cute! What a stylish way to spend the night outdoors. Love this post!!

paperedtogether said...

well ours isn't quite as luxe, but our family sleeps in our tent out back all summer. can't be beat! I highly recommend it :)

Anonymous said...

What a fun idea! I love it!!

Now, if I *just* had a yard big enough... hehee...

Laura said...

What a wonderful idea! I would love to escape to a Tipi in my garden, I just don't know how the neighbours I share it with would feel :) But it's good to dream of the day I have my own garden that I can fill with delights like this!

alice said...

this is so fun! if only i had a yard. . .=)

lisa solomon said...

how fun to camp in the yard. love it