phm studio spaces: heather smith jones

hsjstudio.outside
Artist Name: Heather Smith Jones
Website: heathersmithjones.com
Shop:hrsmithjones.etsy.com
Blog: hrsmithjones.blogspot.com
City: Lawrence, KS USA

Where in your home/apartment is your studio located?
My studio is on the top level of a two-story garage built by my husband, directly behind our house. He designed and built it using metal and locally milled wood for the exterior and reclaimed yellow pine flooring and trim for the interior. He's also made some of the furniture including my work table, love seat, and coffee table.

hsjstudio.ontablewwppinhole
hsjstudio.workontable

What equipment/tools do you use?
One of my primary mediums is something I call 'pinhole' where I use a sewing needle tool to poke holes through paper creating texture, imagery, writing, pattern, etc. It makes a raised surface on the paper similar to the look of embossing. I also do mixed media work on paper using graphite, watercolor, acrylic, and colored pencil. Sometimes I make my paint by hand, including watercolor, egg tempera and oil.

hsjstudio.ontable
hsjstudio.northwall

Do you have an inspiration board, and can you tell us what is inspiring you now?
I put up photographs, cards and the like on my wall with magnets, and move them around from time to time. Mostly I have pieces from friends, who certainly inspire me. I like seeing how they compose an image, or capture light. The way people see is so interesting to me.


How do you create best?
I love working in the morning when my mind is fresh. But any time of day that I'm in my new studio I'm pretty happy. Of course, having a few homemade chocolate chip cookies nearby while I'm working is good too.


List (3) of your favorite artists:
Two stand out in my mind -
Squeak Carnwath
Cy Twombly

If yours isn't, what would be your perfect studio?
Thankfully, after more than three years of construction, I am in my dream studio. It's my favorite place to be.

hsjstudio.readingarea


Thanks Jan! The PHM Studio Spaces is such a wonderful series, I'm enjoying them so much.

Thank you Heather!

Jan Halvarson

9 comments:

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

WOW! That is the most gorgeous and inspiring studio! The light is amazing!

Rachel said...

what an amazing place to be able to create!

Babelfish said...

What a beautiful studio, like a treehouse with so much natural light -such a wonderful place to create. I love Heather's work, thanks for the interview.

Melissa de la Fuente said...

So lovely, warm and happy! Just what I would expect from the equally lovely and warm Heather!
xo
Melissa

parrott design studio said...

heather's studio is such an inspiring space.

i love the studio spaces series. thanks jan! :)

sarah ahearn bellemare said...

i love your sunny space heather! great to see more of it! cy and squeak are top of my list too!! *sarah

lisa solomon said...

heather is a GEM. her space is gorgeous

Amy said...

I love Miss Heather, and now I love her beautiful space as well!

Ashley said...

WOW, this is one seriously sweet studio!! How beautiful.