phm studio spaces: matte stephens

matte-stephens

Artist Name: Matte Stephens
Shop Name and Url: Matteart (matteart.etsy.com)
Website: www.matteart.net
Blog: www.matteart.blogspot.com
City: Portland Oregon

matte1

Where in your home/apartment/city is your studio located?
Its in the spare bedroom in our condo


What equipment/tools do you use?
I use Gouache,plywood ,gocco,illustration board and paper for paper sculptures,

Do you have an inspiration board, and can you tell us what is inspiring you now?
I do have one its a wall in my work room. I'm really inspired by modernism mixed with a playful side. Irving Harper my favorite designer /artist is a constant inspiration for me. Even at 92 when he could be relaxing he takes the time to talk with me and gives me advice. I have several prints of his work on my wall and a print of his favorite painting Guernica. I also have lots of work from other artists that I know. Lab Partners,Amanda Kindregan,Maho Britt, Vivienne Strauss. I love the idea of suburbia it has been a very good source also.

matte2


How do you create best (e.g. do you listen to music while you create and if so what?)
I love to watch movies while I paint. Movies from the 40's 50's 60's are the best inspiration for me while working :)


List (3) of your favorite artists
Ben Shahn
Paul Klee
Irving Harper

If yours isn't, what would be your perfect studio?
I had a rather large studio In Birmingham that I liked a lot but it was too much space. I love my new one its just big enough and very cozy. I have a very nice window to look out of all day.

matte3

Thanks Matte!

Jan Halvarson

1 comment:

matte stephens said...

Thank you so much for the nice post Jan!