A light & breezy summer

hh1

I have a soft spot these days for a beautiful summer cottage. Something light and breezy, where thoughts aren't interrupted by clutter yet cosy with collectibles from walks on the beach. And this cottage owned by L.A. design and lifestyle duo Eliot and Alexandra Angle has just the right mix. I first saw this Nova Scotia saltbox cottage featured last winter in O at Home (and posted about it here), and was so happy to see Canadian House and Home feature it in their June 09 issue (which is a great issue this month all on Cheap Chic and includes an interview with Grace Bonney of Design Sponge)! Taking cues from a traditional maritime structure, the couple created a contemporary setting embracing classic cottage features such as white washed floors and panelled cabinetry highlighted with wood, wicker and a soft blue palette. All photos by Janet Kimber.

hh3

hh2

hh4

Jan Halvarson

20 comments:

lesley [smidgebox] said...

gorgeous! can't wait to read this, it's in my growing pile of unread mags...

Cheryl said...

That is a beautiful cottage. Love how all the different shades of blue work together. I'm a sucker for all breezy/beachy looking spaces! Thanks for sharing

Joanna Goddard said...

LOVE!!!!! it is calling my name :)

Katy said...

Loving the bright, airy kitchen!

MartiC said...

I love those bed coverings in the last picture - where are they from?

Nicole (ThreeBySea) said...

I'm in love with the kitchen and all the windows this cottage has. This just looks like such a great coastal cottage for a family to gather at, although those white floors wouldn't be white for long!

Jan Halvarson said...

MartiC - as far as i can see in the sources (it doesn't mention the quilts) however in the "get the look section for this they mention finding quilts at plover organic - http://www.ploverorganic.com and i would also suggest anthropologie.com

pixelimpress said...

funny, jan, i was just rereading that oprah at home magazine last night and swooned over this house for about the 16th time. lovely. pam

Waxy said...

Very cute! The blue kitchen is fabulous!

iva yaneva said...

I believe if I lived in such a lovely home, I would feel like it's summer even during the winter :))
The colours are really soft and bright and the large windows bringing in the lovely light are just precious! I like the use of natural materials, makes it so much cozier!

Emma in California said...

Love this interior !
If you want to discover great French designers for kids go to my shop
http://www.comptoirdenfance.com
and my blog
http://www.frenchatmosphere.blogspot.com
enjoy!
Emma

shellie said...

Im taking a vacation there right now in my mind!

amanda blake said...

that is so beautiful, makes me think some interior painting must be on my summer to do list, so pretty and clean.

Unknown said...

Does anyone know where i can find those stools in the first picture? I love the woven bands with the wood!

Jan Halvarson said...

Melissa - those are vintage Jens Risom stools- http://risom.org/ - but are available new at Design Within Reach - http://www.dwr.com

hip said...

a girl can dream...

Clean & Bright Soaps and Candles said...

Gorgeous! I could get used to having a cottage like that :)

Coco Cake Land said...

super duper SIGHHHH...

Design Cracker said...

What a sweet place. I too have such a weakness for this feel. So nice to see you again. I have started a blog and yours is an opinion I would value.
Thanks,
Deb

lisa solomon said...

how dreamy!