Breakfast of Champions | Everyday Granola




I recently went on a 3 week holiday to the East Coast and while I was happy tucking into a diner special of eggs and toast, I was really satisfied when my husband and I would stumble upon a tiny coffee shop or cafe offering up some house-made granola and yogurt. I was even happier to discover that when we returned back home in Vancouver that I still had a large mason jar half-full of crunchy, delicious granola.




This was the granola that welcomed us back home. It was immediately poured into bowls and topped with a huge dollop of my favorite coconut yogurt and a handful or two of whatever fruit is in season at the moment. Right now, it's peaches, coronation grapes and nectarines and I will gladly eat this morning after morning washed down with a mug (or two) of hot, strong coffee. Now this is a breakfast of champions.


Everyday Granola
3 1/2 c organic large-flake rolled oats
1/2 c wheat germ
1/4 c flax seed
3 T ground flax seed
1 1/2 c dried shredded coconut
1 c walnuts, roughly chopped
1 c almonds, roughly chopped
1/4 c sunflower seeds
2 T cinnamon
1 t ground ginger
large pinch each of cardamom and nutmeg
1/2 t of kosher salt
1/4 c canola oil
1/4 c apple sauce
1/3 c brown sugar
1/3 c honey
1 t vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 300ºF. In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon. In another bowl, stir the oil, applesauce, brown sugar, honey and vanilla together until it emulsifies somewhat. Pour the wet over the dry ingredients and stir well so that everything gets evenly coated.

Spread mixture on a baking sheet or large glass baking pan and toast in a 325 degree oven for 20-30 minutes, checking on it and stirring it occasionally until mixture is dry. When cool, store in a tightly lidded container.



by Jeannette Ordas of Everybody likes Sandwiches

Jan Halvarson

9 comments:

Boracay accommodation said...

This look delicious! I love to try new recipes. This one is perfect! Thank you for sharing!

raquel raney said...

looks like the perfect way to start out the day.

tara said...

So great to see Janette's recipes here - she's just rad.

jenny said...

mmmm breakfast... a meal that I'm always late for :X

{The Perfect Palette} said...

looking yummy!!

Renee said...

i was just mentioning to my boyfriend that i need to find a good granola recipe! i too love granola with yogurt and fruit for breakfast. it's the perfect start to the day. thanks for the recipe!

The pale observer said...

Looks so yummy! Being 'stuck' relatively speaking in Ghana West Africa - it's sadly not big place for granola. Weevles (sp) - those little black squirmies end up finding their way into anything grainy.. but I can read about yours and dream... :)

la ninja said...

this makes me want to start having brekkie again... I just have to find the time now.
great homely pic too.

Wendy said...

Looks delicious and I can almost smell it cooking. My 17 year old son just looked at the picture and recipe and said "let's do it!"