Apple Cinnamon Clouds of Goodness

by Jeannette Ordas of Everybody Likes Sandwiches

Biscuits should be light, fluffy and flaky. Cloudy bits of just warm goodness topped with butter and jam, best eaten on an endless Saturday morning. I'm not from the South, but my biscuit making chops aren't too shabby. So instead of playing it safe with my ol' recipe, I tried to shake things up a bit with a heavy dose of autumn.

Apple and cinnamon are perfect for fall and are a perfect combo for biscuits, as I discovered. I used a Bramley Seedling apple which is tart and sweet and perfect for baking, but feel free to use whatever apple variety you've got. The result was a biscuit that tasted like all the best bits of fall and without much fuss.

Apple Cinnamon Drop Biscuits
2 c all-purpose flour
2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1 t raw sugar
3/4 t kosher salt
1 t ground cinnamon
1 pinch of ground nutmeg
1 pinch of ground cardamom
1 large apple, cored and diced
1/2 c plain yogurt
1/2 c skim milk
8 T unsalted butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 475. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the first 8 ingredients. Set aside.

2. In a smaller bowl, mix together the milk, yogurt and melted butter. Using a rubber spatula, add the wet ingredients to the dry, along with the diced apple, stirring until the mixture begins to pull away from the bowl. Be careful to not over mix!

3. Drop spoonfuls of dough onto a silpat (or parchment covered) cookie sheet, about 1.5 inches apart. Bake for 12 - 15 minutes or until tops are golden. Cool slightly (if you can stand it) and serve with butter and jam or eat 'em up plain.

Jan Halvarson

12 comments:

Ash said...

Oh, these look quite delicious!!
I might need me some apple cinnamon goodness!

sMacThoughts said...

Sounds yummy! I love mine with heavily spiced apple butter!

Joanne said...

Apples and cinnamon are the BEST combination!!!

Roxanne said...

Fall baking is the best!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, yum! That is one talent I do not possess - baking. I can cook alright but baking look out!

Lauren Haupt Estes said...

delicious. pretty sure I will be making these within the week. thank you!

Sarah M said...

These look so good! Baked apple goods like these are why I love fall!

A Wanderers Soul said...

These have just been added to my Thanksgiving "must-have" list... thank you for the great recipe!

vanilla press said...

they look delicious
thanks!

Luna Levy said...

oh yum, these look great! a new recipe I'll definitely be trying out!

Amanda said...

These look fantastic! I have a bunch of fresh picked apples just waiting for something like this to come along. Thanks!

Sarah said...

I made these last night and they were amazing! The combination of apples and cinnamon was super delicious and made my apartment smell great. Thanks!