Spicy Roasted Tomato & Black Bean Soup

by Jeannette Ordas of Everybody likes Sandwiches

The days are still warm outside, but there is a definite chill in the air when evening hits. A bowl of fresh, hot soup is just the thing to help warm things up. I received some beautiful looking tomatoes from our local CSA and I decided to roast them to bring out their best flavour. The heat helps to caramelize the sugars in the tomatoes which would be perfect in soup. A couple cloves of garlic and some jalapenos are added for a spicy kick. My peppers didn't turn out to be all that hot (and I included the seeds as well), so I threw into the soup pot some of my favorite habanero hot sauce just to make things sweat a bit. But taste your peppers first as you don't want to end up with a nasty hot surprise!

Spicy Roasted Tomato & Black Bean Soup
1 lb tomatoes, cut in half or in wedges or thickly sliced
4 cloves garlic, cut in half
2 jalapeno peppers
2 T olive oil
a few springs of fresh thyme
a small handful of fresh basil leaves
salt & pepper
3 c vegetable broth
1 large stalk of celery, diced
1 small onion, diced
1 can of black beans, drained
salt & pepper & hot sauce to taste
1 lime

1. On a cookie sheet, lay out tomatoes, sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic and fresh herbs. Drizzle with olive oil and bake for about 1 hour at 350 degrees until tomatoes are soft and caramelized.

2. Add roasted tomatoes and their juices into a large pot, along with the diced onions and celery and sautee over med-high heat for a few minutes. Add in the stock and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered for about 30 minutes.

3. Use an immersion blender to quickly blend up about half the soup. I like it half chunky and half smooth, but blend (or not) to your own preference. Add in black beans and simmer away for another 15 minutes. Taste and add salt, pepper and hot sauce if needed. Squeeze in the juice of half a lime and use the remaining lime to squeeze into individual bowls. Serve with sour cream and tortilla chips.

Jan Halvarson

11 comments:

Sarah said...

Yum! Looks delicious, and perfect for a day like today.

hadley said...

ooh, this looks yum. Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

lol my mom came home trying to figure out what we're gonna have for dinner and I just so happened to come on this site. Perfect timing! Thanks

Juniper said...

Funny, I made this exact same dish yesterday (minus the blackbeans) and adding some fresh ground coriander seeds, with a dollop of cream fraiche it's the perfect thing. I sometimes add a little squeeze of lemon at the end to give it a tiny zing (looks like you did that with limes). YOu photos are great!

eviedee said...

This looks sooooo awesome. I would love to know what you put in your veggie stock! I always use chicken because I have been incapable of making a flavorful veg stock.

kickpleat said...

Thanks Eviedee, I always make my veggie stock differently based on what scraps I've got available. It's usually what I call a compost broth...but if the taste isn't up to par (it's true with veggie broth, it can be difficult to get a super flavourful stock), I cheat and add a bullion cube to "enhance".

Rachel said...

Made this soup tonight and it was wonderful! We loved it. Perfect for this cold, rainy weather we've been having.

However, I didn't taste my peppers first, and DID end up with a bit of a hot surprise! (Temporarily forgot about "the smaller the hotter" rule.) I'm going to try to dilute it some with the rest of the veggie stock I made. Even so, the taste of the soup was fabulous!

laurenbrown said...

Made this soup and it was great! Added some corn which made it more hearty. Thanks for the excellent recipe!

April said...

Wow, I will definitely be making this again. I used 1 poblano pepper and that supplied PLENTY of kick. I also didn't have any sour cream but did crumble some queso fresco which added a nice flavor. Thanks for sharing!

Coco Cake Land said...

ooooh boy!! looks great jeannette! i just bookmarked it for future soup times!! :)

Anne said...

Just made this and it is absolutely delicious- a perfect ending to a beautiful fall day. I added cilantro at the end, which is a must for me. Thanks for sharing!