Art of Craft

Art and Craft, MOV opening Coming to Canada, Linda McBaine Cuyler/Alberta, Acrylic paint, machine embroidery, suitcase
Last night was the opening of Art of Craft, a stunning exhibit at the Museum of Vancouver and presented with Vancouver 2010 Cultural Olympiad. The show celebrates the exuberance, inventiveness and refinement of fine craft at an exhibition of work from Canada and the Republic of Korea. Shown here are some favourites from the show all featuring Canadian artists. The show is divided into three parts, 1) Unity & Diversity: Selected Works - 75 pieces from across Canada recently on display at the 2009 Cheongju International Craft Biennale in the Republic of Korea. 2) By Hand/BC and Yukon - 51 pieces from Canada’s West Coast with a focus on the artists’ creative processes and studio environments. 3) Craft from the Republic of Korea - 47 pieces demonstrating the excellence of traditional and contemporary crafts. The show is running from January 13th - April 11, 2010. A definite must see!

Museum of Vancouver, 1100 Chestnut Street, Vancouver, British Columbia


mov1"Middle of somewhere" - (long shelf with the map wrapped glass threads running through the 5 glasses) by Brad Copping of glassartcanada.ca


mov2Embroidered Tissue by Kate Jackson

mov3
Paul Gort of Whitehorse, Yukon Territories, Black walnut

Jan Halvarson

15 comments:

Post Grad Hair Cut said...

Looks great! Can't wait to see it.

Monika said...

I wish I lived in Canada so that I could visit this. Seems like a great event with amazing talent around!
ps. you have a beautiful blog,
Monika
eco-stylista: sourcebook for eco-conscious living

Engra said...

wonderful suitcase!!!

Amanda said...

Do you know who the artist that did that last wooden piece? Is it Brian Jungen? Lovely blog :)

Pixie said...

OH, this is sooo cool. I hope I have time to check it out while I'm in Vancouver.

Ola Silvera said...

Your blog is curated (? yes, I think curated is the right word) so beautifully. I'm always excited to see what you post and what you'll post next.

Ola Silvera said...

And the suitcase is exceptional. The paper work is interesting and a little eerie.

Jan Halvarson said...

Hi Amanda - the wooden pallet table is by Paul Gort of Whitehorse, Yukon Territories, Black walnut

kate jackson said...

Hi! thanks for the mention! thats super nice. keep well. Kate Jackson. (i did the embroidered tissue) <3

Jan Halvarson said...

Thanks Kate for stopping by, I added a link to the image for you!

Jes said...

Lovely! Thank you for the overview. Would love to come over to the mainland and see.

Ash said...

Every pic is a celebration of art... I liked the first & the cloudy rain chandelier.... perfect nature within your reach... & always with u.... I know I'm just a miniscule in front of them.... but still I'm good in my own way too.... ;-)))


Ash...
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Brad Copping said...

Thanks very much for posting an image of my work 'middle of somewhere', it's the long shelf with the map wrapped glass threads running through the 5 glasses.

For more on my work or other excellent Canadian artists working with glass please check out www.glassartcanada.ca

Wish I could have made the opening.
Cheers, Brad

Jan Halvarson said...

Thank you Brad, I have added the link to your image.

Amanda Y said...

Thanks for the info Jan. Love the blog!