Chakra P. Tutorial #4: Love Where You Live

Guest post by Chakra Pennywhistle

1/27/10 Central Tucson: A nice surprise. Someone decorated their wooden fence with paper hearts.

For this last installment, I thought that I would share a personal project that I have been working on. My family and I are actually in the midst of moving across the country from Tucson, AZ to Virginia Beach, VA.

1/6/10 Central Tucson: Old bus yard

The move began just at the beginning of the year and it has been quite the whirlwind. We own our home in Tucson and I have been juggling everything from running Chakra P., to renting our home, to packing all of our belongings. I knew that this was going to be quite the task and from the beginning I made it a goal to try and do something creative for at least a few minutes each day.

1/8/10 Central Tucson: Deanza Drive In Theatre. Recently closed down. Hoping some folks will save it. My little one's first movie.

Inspired by the 365 Project, I decided to take a daily photograph of things that I love and will miss about Tucson. The project has served a couple of functions. It has proven to relieve the stress of the move and has also made me appreciate this city in a way that - looking back - I wish that I was doing it all along.

1/26/10 Central Tucson: Favorite parking spot at a local antique shop.

So I just wanted to share it with all of you in hopes that it might inspire you to get out there and photograph some favorites of your own. I also wanted to note that I am not a photographer and have found out that you don't have to be to enjoy this project.

2/1/10 Central Tucson: St. Mary's Thrift Shop. My grandmother volunteers here and loves every minute of it!

I have been going around town wearing my camera and smiling all the way. I might not take the best photos but they have served that special purpose that only a creative outlet can. So take a good camera, a not-so-good camera, or a cell phone camera and click away! You won't regret it.

1/9/10 Central Tucson: Raging Sage coffee shop parking lot. Every time we park to get coffee, my little girl spots her heart in the power lines.

Jan Halvarson

4 comments:

erin said...

such a great project. i started a similar series on my blog last year when i realized that i would be moving. just of the process of photographing helps you to appreciate the smallest details, huh? i call the series 'my downtown,' and i've continued it in my new city, too. i loved the process so much, that i began to invite other people to contribute images of their downtowns, too...so great to get a glimpse of the little things that other people find lovely in their own towns and cities. all best,

erin

Chakra Pennywhistle said...

Thanks Erin! You have inspired me to continue the project in VA :)

gwen said...

what a lovely project and a great way to memorialize all the little things...I especially love the heart in the wires.

My Owl Barn said...

I live in Tucson and love it! St. Mary's thrift store is my favorite spot when I'm on a treasure hunt.