Manga-Inspired Textiles



Manga by a Swede? The world is just becoming so much smaller and smaller. Coming this month, IKEA will launch CHARLOTTA, a new collection of Manga fabric designed by Sweden's Ã…sa Ekström. A cartoonist or "mangaka" inspired by the Japanese way of creating comic-strip stories, Ã…sa creates a ficticious mix of well-known buildings in Scandinavia among which Godzilla stands on the CHARLOTTA TECKNING and then shows her love of Tokyo with the motif on CHARLOTTA BLOCK. I love the CHARLOTTA MÄRKE, a mix of Scandinavia and Japan where sh'es mixed Japanese tattooing with Scandinavian motifs, "A girl in manga style dressed in a Swedish folk costume and a Viking made with an old-world Japanese mask used on stage in Noh plays as a model”, Ã…sa explains. See more info and images here. (Via mocoloco.com via notcot.org).



Jan Halvarson

7 comments:

shellie said...

I totally love it...but this is coming from a person who watches a lot of adult swim!

Jaeveberry said...

Omg, my brother would LOVE these!

Helena said...

Awesome! I will never stop loving IKEA.

markhed said...

Awesome!

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

I concur with Helena- I will never stop loving IKEA, and this from a girl who lived in a BIG city with THREE Ikeas and now lives in a BIG valley with sniff sniff none!
I had some Japanimation inspiration today too learning about Dekotora trucks.

ladyofthearts.blogspot.com

Jules said...

Arrgghh!! How cool is this stuff? and I just checked and it's in stock here in the UK and it's the super tiny crazy price of only £3.99/m. I'm off to Ikea RIGHT NOW...

Chloe said...

It's for sale in the UK?? WAIT Jules, I'm coming too!! (^_^)