Moroccan Chickpea and Vegetable Stew

by Jeannette Ordas of Everybody likes Sandwiches

I'm the type of cook who doesn't like to shop just for that one special ingredient needed in a recipe. I make do with what's in the cupboard and fridge. I'm resourceful and proud of it. This is one such recipe where you don't need to run to the grocery store – just use what you've got. I've made this recipe (or variations on it) often and it was even one of the very first recipes I ever posted on my blog back in 2005. It's such a comforting and tasty dish that I figure it's worth a repeat visit.

This meal is full of fragrant spices like cinnamon, hot peppers and cumin while the addition of raisins adds an unexpected sweetness. Want to up the spice or tone it down? Go for it. Want to add cauliflower or yams instead of beans? Go ahead. It's a flexible dish that easily adapts to whatever you can find in your kitchen. It's hearty and vegan and I'm certainly not adverse to sprinkling a bit of crumbled feta cheese on top (though it's perfectly delightful without). Serve it with couscous (preferred) or rice, but know that it's also lovely with some crusty peasant bread spread generously with butter.

Moroccan Chickpea and Vegetable Stew
1 T olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 large carrot, diced
1/2 lb green beans, trimmed & chopped
1 T cumin
1 T corriander
1 t cinnamon
1 t hot pepper flakes
salt & pepper
1 large can of diced tomatoes
1 can of chickpeas, drained & rinsed
2 handfuls of raisins
juice of 1/2 lemon

1. In a large heavy pot, heat a small amount of olive oil over medium-high heat and add the diced onion, celery, and carrots. Saute for a few minutes and then add in the green beans. Stir in the spices and let them get fragrant.

2. Pour in the can of tomatoes and the can of chickpeas, turning down the heat to a simmer. After 10 minutes, stir in the raisins and simmer on low heat for 25 minutes.

3. A few minutes before serving, squeeze half a lemon into the stew for a bit of tang and mix well. Serve over couscous, rice or eat with crusty bread.

Jan Halvarson

7 comments:

Miss P. said...

Thanks so much for this. I woke up with a bad cold this morning and was just thinking I need to eat something warming when I get back from work tonight. I already have all the ingredients at home so I don't even have to take my germs out shopping! Can't wait to try it - just the thought of it is making me feel better :)

Helena said...

The rich colours of that photo are making me drooool.

Anonymous said...

Going to have to try out that recipe - looks delicious :)

Unknown said...

I have a similar go to chickpea stew, but I usually use honey instead of raisins/cinnamon. Nice to see some more options for variation!

Anonymous said...

Just made your recipe....delicious! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I read you over at ELS, and when I got home tonight I knew it was One of Those Days -- perfect idea for a meal, and lovely for substitutions allowing me to clean out the fridge for tomorrow's food box. It's ready now, and I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

arghh .. I thought T = tablespoon of coriander & cumin !

smells ok though ..

Steve

Bristol UK