This Week from Lisa Congdon: Serena Mitnik-Miller and General Store, SF

cubesContributer post by Lisa Congdon

Every so often I fall in love with a space, so much so that my breath is taken away when I enter. Such was my experience Friday when I walked into General Store for the first time, a new shop in San Francisco's outer Sunset district, near the famed Mollusk Surf Shop. Opened about a month ago by former Mollusk manager, artist and entrepreneur Serena Mitnik-Miller and her partner and fellow artist, Mason St. Peter , General Store is one of those magical shops that is so pretty and cozy that you sort of want to put down your bag and stay for a very long time.

colorfront

Mitnik-Miller and St. Peter carry a variety of extremely cool things all excellently curated into this uncluttered, warm, light-filled space near the ocean: Japanese housewares, artisan goods, design objects, architecture and design books, vintage goods and clothing, pottery, succulents, wooden trinkets and a little bit of Serena's intensely beautiful artwork.

circle

I first met General Store owner, Serena Mitnik-Miller when she shopped at my SF store last year. If you are lucky enough to meet her when you arrive, say hello. She's clearly at home in this little shop (which is truly comfy enough to live in), and is happy to tell you about any of the items in the shop, including her beautiful artwork, some of which is for sale in the shop.

books

I bought one of these gorgeous wood blocks (created by Mitnik-Miller ) when I was there. I want to go back for more.

serena1

Mitnik-Miller paints, makes prints, and does beautiful photography.

serena4

You can see an Apartment Therapy tour of the Mitnik-Miller/St Peter home here .

Whether you live in the Bay Area or come to San Francisco for a visit, General Store is a must see/must visit, along with its "sister" shop, Mollusk , another personal San Francisco favorite.

Jan Halvarson

14 comments:

Helena said...

Oh goodness. That disco ball contrasts so perfectly with those neutral, natural surroundings. Lovely.

Shayna said...

What a charming shop -Thanks for bringing it to light!

Eva / Sycamore Street Press said...

General Store is one of my very favorite shops...and Serena and Mason are such nice people!

atinybitofheaven said...

That's amazing!!

made at green view said...

That shop looks divine and i really like the materials they have used for the interiors. I went to San Francisco for my honeymoon and it reminds how great that city it is.

Sarah S. Dobbs said...

Well isn't this just the charming place? I would love to stop by.

xx

S.S. DOBBS

Sarah S. Dobbs said...

Well isn't this just the charming place? I would love to stop by.

xx

S.S. DOBBS

Anonymous said...

That tubular passageway is really neat! Loving those watercolor paintings :)

Unknown said...

Gorgeous!! Was just in SF and so bummed I missed this...

Julie said...

I absolutely LOVE that old wooden bench!

The D.I. Denizen said...

It looks like a hobbit hole. I love it.

Kickcan & Conkers said...

Love, love, love those painted blocks

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

this place is so cool...I stumbled upon it not long ago when I went to Outerlands for my birthday lunch. will definitely be back...it's a great combo of thrift, craft, and design