Crispy Salted Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies

I've always loved my sweet with a little extra. Sour. Spicy. Salty. It's all good. These cookies are a perfect example of taming something cloyingly sweet as butterscotch chips with some beautiful flaky smoked sea salt. I wasn't sure just exactly how my cupboard contained butterscotch chips (it's not something I've ever bought before), but I'm glad that I was able to put them to good use. The butterscotch aroma when I opened the package reminded me of old school instant puddings so I was kinda worried about the results. No fear! These are delicious, crispy and a wonderful reminder at how good salt is at bringing out the sweet.

Besides being super tasty, I like that there are no eggs involved in this recipe so if your fridge is a bit skimpy it's not a problem. Also, if you switch in high quality dark chocolate for the butterscotch chips and use a non-dairy milk (or use water instead), they make a perfect vegan snack.

Crispy Salted Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies
(adapted from The Canadian Baker)
1 c butter, softened
1 c brown sugar
1/4 c milk
1 t vanilla
1 3/4 c all-purpose flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
2 c oats
1 1/2 c butterscotch chips
1/2 c flaked unsweetened coconut
flaky sea salt

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, baking soda, and the 1st salt measurement in a medium bowl.
2. In another bowl, beat together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in milk and vanilla until combined. Slowly add in flour mixture and mix until just blended. Add in oats, butterscotch chips and coconut until incorporated.
3. Spoon up a large tablespoon of dough and drop it onto a cookie sheet leaving about 2 inches of space between each cookie. Slightly press down on each lump to slightly flatten and sprinkle a flake or two of salt on each cookie. Bake for 12 - 14 minutes, or until cookies are golden brown. Transfer to wire rack to cool. Makes 24 - 30 cookies.

Jan Halvarson

15 comments:

PaisleyJade said...

Yum!!!

hatjunkie said...

Those look delicious. I love sweet and salty.

Colleen / Inspired to Share said...

what a great recipe! and no eggs! thanks for sharing:)

CinnamonAndSass said...

Oh yum, love salted sweet things!

redmenace said...

A near perfect combo. Thank you!

Megan said...

Looks amazing! Might have to bake tonight! <3

Unknown said...

I cannot wait to try this recipe. The mix of salty and sweet is one of my favorite flavor profiles! (Boy, that sounded nerdy!) Thanks for sharing this.

Soon, Then said...

I am a sucker for butterscotch in my cookies. Yum!!!

Mandi Johnson said...

Oh man. I will have to try this! Thanks for giving the vegan option. It's so hard to find good vegan cookies.

appropriated.muffin said...

looks delish! thanks for sharing! i'm definitely adding this to my list of "to bake!"

Rebecca said...

australia is sadly one place you cannot buy butterscotch chips. terrible, no? so i look at these biscuits, and i dream!

Kristine said...

Sweet and salty is the best! Can't wait to try these. Yum!

Lin said...

Just made a batch--for myself! Absolutely to die for.

Sew Flippin Cool said...

these look great. I've included them in a special edition of my must make monday post. Check it out at The Handmade Experiment - http://wp.me/pkcUM-zo

Unknown said...

I made the butterscotch oatmeal cookies today, with the substitution of cream for milk. Using walnut-sized spoonfuls of the dough, the recipe yielded 4 dozen three-inch cookies.

I found the butterscotch chips to be quite a bit sweeter than chocolate chips, though I did enjoy the butterscotch flavor. So, I would say that the cookie is indeed buttery and crispy, but still very much to the sweet side. Overall, quite a nice addition to a cookie tray. Many thanks for sharing!