Crafty Industrial

IMG_2188
from real living magazine

You know, I've been loving the plywood look for a while now, I've just been really unsure to be honest about committing to it. It's one of those things where if you do, it can be beautiful or it can be a disaster. But I really like this idea seen recently in Real Living Magazine. Rather than committing to nailing the plywood to the wall (floor to ceiling), just use as a backdrop as shown here. A simple and very affordable way to get the look. And a perfect aesthetic for the home "crafty" office. And I don't know if you can really see in this photo I took of the page, but the receipt filing system is genius. Check it out! It's a piece of MDF covered in pretty paper, with 12 pins holding "hanging bulldog clips" which are holding kraft paper envelopes; each with a letter (draw, print or cut) representing each month. And while we're on the genius subject, talk about the mdf workstation in the back there. Set on three filing cabinets. Such great and affordable ideas. So much room, room to make, room to sew. Love!

from real living magazine

Jan Halvarson

9 comments:

emma ::emmas designblogg:: said...

Oh yes, I want this!

Poppy and Lime said...

I wish I had a space like this. Genius ideas indeed, I can feel a project or two coming on!

when skies are grey said...

Thanks so much for showing this, it looks so great :)

Canoe said...

I'm loving the plywood and have been thinking about doing this in my house, but on an entire wall. You had a great post a while back about this, but here's my question:

When Plywood is used for walls, is it left untreated, or is it stained/varnished?

I would think it should be coated in something to make it easier to clean and protect the wood, but maybe not. Ideas?

Valerie said...

just the inspiration i needed !!
i don't have a big space but we're trying to convert our little home office into a studio for me.
i like the type of pywood that has plenty of little holes in it... not sure what it is called...

mass loaded vinyl said...

wow..i like the interiors...it's sleek and simple and functional...the storage and the work area fits well there

kimberj said...

That plexy stepstool is on my list of "wants". I love the plywood but I would need to see it done right in person to see how sanded the piece was and how the edges were handled. It would need to look industrial and not construction leftover. I've always wanted to take those big chipboard squares, sand them, place them every other direction (like parquet), and then put a heavy coat of epoxy over it. Am I nuts or would that be an amazing studio floor?

Jan Halvarson said...

Miss Natalie and kimberj - I think you'd have to finish it - as it would be hard to clean otherwise. Here's a link to a nice tutorial on plywood - http://hindsvikvintage.com/?p=1809

Valerie - i think you might be thinking of peg board?

leila brewster photography said...

i love the industrial look.. then you throw crafty in there! swooning over here!