Hula Seventy: Instant Film Lives


"Party Over Here", Grant Hamilton, USA
Contributer Post by Andrea of Hula Seventy

In case you haven't yet heard the news, instant film is officially back. Thanks to an incredibly devoted group of folks behind The Impossible Project, instant film lovers everywhere (myself included) have reason to celebrate. On March 22nd, at a press conference at the International Center of Photography in New York, The Impossible Project unveiled its first analog instant film for use with traditional Polaroid cameras: the PX100 and PX600 silver shade. And let me tell you, it has the world of instant film lovers buzzing. 40 photographers were invited to test the new film thus forming the base of The Impossible Collection. Here are a few images that are totally whetting my instant film-loving appetite:


"Geary Street, San Francisco", Jake Chessum, USA


"Succulent", Brian Henry, USA


"Departures", Rebecca Rust, Switzerland


"Stay", Brian Henry, USA


Untitled, Claire B., France


"Murphy", Josh Goleman, USA

PX100 silver shade film (developed specifically for the Polaroid SX-70) goes on sale today and will ship next month. PX600 silver shade film (developed for the One Step Polaroid camera) goes on sale soon. And instant color film is coming this summer! It's a new era, folks. It's enough to make an instant film lover cry happy tears of joy.

Jan Halvarson

15 comments:

. s h e r r y * said...

This is so exciting! I can't WAIT for colour film to come back in the summer! <3

jodi said...

hip hip!

surfy birdy said...

yipppy skipppy! great news!
i'll start dusting off my polaroid cameras. :)
peace & love.

BaldyLocks said...

Woohoo! I've been waiting and waiting!

Anonymous said...

I actually did cry when I saw it yesterday, I was so incredibly happy. yay! I can use my old cameras again!!

Anonymous said...

Those images are so beautiful and haunting, they remind me of Sally Mann.

PeppermintDaydreams said...

That's excellent news! *sigh of relief*
Thanks for sharing those beautiful images.

xo Pepper

Unknown said...

These are awesome, and I'm so pleased about the impossible project. Although it kind of puts my Fuji instax instant camera to shame. Not really, it's still awesome!

Lili said...

I am still in disbelief and utter joy over Impossible Project's success and release of this new film. I can't wait to see what artists and photographers out there will do with this new instant film. I also can't wait to get my hands on it and try it as I have recently acquired an SX-70 after years of searching and fall so hard in love with it every day that I use it.

Unknown said...

good news all round, i had planned to leave the camera in my dad's loft but not any more..

Annie said...

awesomely cool images!

gailjrichardson said...

Very unique pictures. Are they old or just made to look old.? Great either way.

Morgan G said...

I just heard the news yesterday after I bought a four-pack of 600 film to convince my sx-70 to use. So glad they pulled off "the impossible" and I can't wait to get my mittens on some film!

Anonymous said...

my heart is actually beating faster! sue

gwen said...

*swoon*
I wish their shipping was a little less, I cannot justify $33 for a pack of 600 right now :[

and these shots are SO inspiring. i am dying to dust my camera off...