Mudpuppy Air Plant Pods

hanging_pods
hanging_pods4

Michael McDowell of Mudpuppy designed these beautiful ceramic hanging air plant pods specifically for air plants (Tillandsia) after discovering that tillandsias will not survive in standing water and if water pools in their leaves it can harm them. Each pod is covered inside and out with his gorgeous glossy white glaze (and now new green glaze - see below) and comes with a generous amount of natural hemp cord all ready to hang. Because they are high fired, you can hang them outdoors as well but make sure to bring your air plants inside during cooler temperatures.

To secure the air plants Michael tucks a couple leaves inside if the bulb isn’t big enough to hang within the pod itself. Each arrives gift packaged and make the perfect house warming present. They look amazing individually or hung in groups! You can also display these right side up on a shelf or table just by taking the cord and hanger out.

www.etsy.com/shop/mudpuppy

green_stripe_pods1
green_stripe_pod_upsidedown

Jan Halvarson

9 comments:

jessica said...

great idea. I love the white.

Lori P said...

So cool. It looks like a sculpture.

mudpuppy said...

Thank you so much for featuring my pods in the Poppytalk blog! I love how the green version looks with your wood blog background! LOL. All the best, ~m

Jan Halvarson said...

They're so great Michael. I'm wondering if i can find an air plant in these neck of the woods....

Jan Halvarson said...

They're so great Michael. I'm wondering if i can find an air plant in these neck of the woods....

Rachel @ Finding Joy said...

Those are unbelievable. So cool.

BEES'NETTA said...

Love his work!!

skeptis said...

Wow they really bring out the beauty of those plants. Love the squiggly Tillandsia - it speaks to the octopus lover in me:)

tsegal said...

What a great blog post! I am so happy that the concept of the hanging sculptural tillandsia is getting more popular. After reading about the care for these plants I decided that a hanging sculpture would be the best way for me to display them too. I found in my research that an air plant needs a lot of light, periodic soaking and air circulation.I had originally thought they would be great in my terrariums but there is not a lot of air movement in an enclosed container so I resorted to different methods. I love the ceramic idea- the design of the container is also very stunning- the simple lines compliment the beauty of the plant perfectly.
I use thrift store finds to display my tillandsias- I just put together a pile of tillandsia "sculptures" last week for a craft sale in May in Vancouver, Canada. Here is a link to the photo set if anyone is looking for further ideas :
http://picasaweb.google.com/thyrza/NewTillandsiaPlantscapesApril2010#