New works by Alex Henderson (Henderson Dry Goods)

buffalo 1 sm
boats 1.1
portrait pendants
landscape 1
hdg1

I missed the opening show of new works by local artist, Alex Henderson of Henderson Dry Goods at the super rad shop, Eugene Choo recently, but happened to stop by to see it (which is still on exhibit) the other day and was completely blown away. If you may recall I wrote about Alex's beautiful mirrors and laser cut jewelry a while back, so when I heard about this show, I was intrigued to see what she had come up with.

I really have to say I'm even more in love with her work than I was before (if that's possible) and sometimes images just don't give the work justice (so if you're in town - it's definitely worth a trip to visit this). I was particularily attracted to the rectangular wall pieces (especially the buffalo and landscape) which are laser etched imagery on solid cherry blocks of wood. They are found imagery from Alex's large collection- pulled together for, what she sees as a shared sense of melancholy. She chose cherry to give the images a sort of sepia tone. She also tried to consider the grain of the wood so that it becomes part of the image.

The Victorian portrait wall hangings are also laser etched, this time on solid Walnut or wood called Sapelle. Some of them hang from antiqued copper chain. And the pendants and cufflinks are Victorian portraits laser etched onto gold-dyed walnut. The chain is oxidized sterling silver.

The jewelry is available at Eugene Choo, The Block, and Walrus in Vancouver (soon to her other retailers). The other work is available only at Eugene Choo which includes beautiful clocks as well.

hendersondrygoods.com
Eugene Choo
683 Main Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada, V5V 3N6, 604-873-8874

boats 2

Jan Halvarson

7 comments:

Lori P said...

These are amazing. Love the antique feel of the pendants even down to the oxidized sterling.

davidikus said...

This retro-Victorian style is very intriguing. Thanks for sharing. I can’t go all the way to Vancouver but I shall browse around the web to see more of this work and “decide” how much I like it.

http://davidikus.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Wow, those are all so cool. I'm totally into the wood art these days.

Victoria Bennett Beyer said...

What a clever idea! I love what the wood grain adds to the image. The effect is quite beautiful.

Mandy Behrens said...

Stunning results! Something I can really relate to. Thanks for sharing Jan! Cheers, Mandy

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful!!!!

Daniella said...

What a wonderful effect! The laser etching reminds me of a photo transfer process of sorts. Perhaps it's the grain of the wood, but I would have never thought laser etching could have such a soft touch.

Thanks for sharing!