A recycler's dream: Greg Hatton + friends

IMG_0872

I've always a soft spot when it comes to handmade teepees, (see our post back in 2008), and so I was intrigued yesterday when I was directed (via lmnop) to The Wendy House Teepee by Leila Sanderson for Greg Hatton Designs out of Australia. Made from hand stitched recycled yacht sailcloth and poplar stick poles, the teepee fits into a drawstring carry bag. Each one is a numbered limited edition and totally unique. The patterns already present on the sail dictate the final design stitched onto it, therefore no two are a like. For a very limited time purchasers can choose from either a window or cat/small dog flap included in their teepee. Made to order. Prices starting from $580 (AUD). Contact Greg Hatton Designs for more info. (Photos: Kelly Gardner).

Picture 3
IMG_0806

Also, I'm equally enamoured by Greg Hatton's new workspace (see below) located at an old Butter Factory in Newstead (about 1.5 hours northwest of Melbourne). According to Greg's blog, the sight has quite a significant heritage value and as such they intend to treat it with the respect it deserves as they consider all the many possibilities for its future use. Currently part of the sight is being used as the new Greg Hatton workshop and they intend to exhibit furniture and other pieces in one of the other spaces. Loving the vintage trailer in the space. More things that caught my eye - recycled depression era glass Fowler jar lights, yellow gum tree black sheep sake set and a recycled floor board chair (see below). So much more to see at their site and blog, greghatton.com.

BF-Caravan
IMG_1001
3722384437_ab9daa5b40
IMG_0012

Jan Halvarson

13 comments:

Angela said...

I, too, am a fan of tents (and vintage trailers). Thanks for this - also, love the stitching in the gray blanket.

Tony said...

I was interested in the stick sculpture behind the teepee.

Unknown said...

These teepees are great! I love those chunky looking grey pillows too:)

Unknown said...

I love everything about this post - teepees are forts for grown ups - don't you think!

Mallory - Miss Malaprop said...

Wow, I love everything about this... the teepees especially but also the grey pillows, the reclaimed wood chair, the vintage trailer. This makes for a dream world to get away from it all...

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post. would love to own one of those teepees someday:)

Helen Trigg said...

Love tee pees but arn't those wooden stools great
Thanks Jan

Leila Sanderson said...

Hi Jan and Earl and everyone else who left kind words about my teepee - thank you so much I really appreciate it. I work for Greg Hatton and the teepee has been my little project for the last 6 months or so. I also made the army blanket cushions. How great is the new workshop we have to work?! Please stop by our blog if any of you'd like to see more photos - its an on going project and eventually we intend to turn part of it into holiday accommodation - so if any of you are down this way in the future please come and visit! Tony - the wooden sculpture behind the teepee is a christmas tree - we make them out of poplar. Thanks again for the post.

lisa solomon said...

so much to love.
those stools are esp. drool worthy

Emma said...

love these teepees...for me and my son!

Jan Halvarson said...

Thanks Leila for stopping by and telling us more info! Would be lovely to visit I'm sure! And love your beautiful work!

Jan Halvarson said...

Heather - yes - and i would love to have one in my back patio. Would be so fun!

Leila Sanderson said...

Thank you everyone, we're really loving this kind of feedback! And by the way I just realised the photo Jan picked of the floorboard chair has the yacht sail I used to make the teepees in the background - before it took on a whole new life!