Poppytalk spends a day in the country...

A Day in the CountryImages by Janis Nicolay
Story by Heather Cameron

Missing Goat Blueberry farm invited Poppytalk to come spend 'A Day in the Country'. The question here is...can a country girl teach a city girl to make a rhubarb pie from scratch? I think so.

Crust:
1 cup butter
2 cups flour
1 egg
1 tablespoon white vinegar
2 tablespoons cold water
cream and sugar to sprinkle
Tools needed: wax paper, rolling pin, pastry cutter, large bowl

Filling:
three cups chopped fresh rhubarb - you can heap the rhubarb too, I do.
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons flour
1 egg

butterflour

Crust - the basics.
Take one very cold cup of butter and chop into cubes.
Drop into a large bowl. Add two cups flour.

A Day in the Country

Take your pastry cutter and chop into the butter - use your muscles and work it till the butter is the size of peas. This step can be very impressive.

crust

Sure, you can use a machine to do this, but I have two issues with this:
1. The mixer always over works the dough and your crust is not flakey.
2. The best pie you ever had, didn't come from a mixer. Go old school, use your hands.
Once you have the butter cut into the flour, mix the egg, water and vinegar in a small bowl and whisk together. Pour over the butter and flour mixture. Mix as well as you can with a fork, then use your hands to mix it - but just a bit. You are not looking to make a smooth ball of dough, just a loose flakey mixture.

Picture 2

Grab just over half the dough mix -it will be crumbly in spots, and you'll think, "this can't be right, she should be looking for her goat, not making pie" but, you will see. Pile the dough on top on a sheet of wax paper. Place a second sheet on top of the pile and press it down a bit with your hands. Take your rolling pin and begin to roll it out between the wax paper. Roll it fairly thin, and wide enough to fit your GLASS PYREX PIE PLATE. I've tried all types of pie plates, and I tell you, this is the best. Don't go ceramic - it looks pretty, but who will remember your plate if your pie is to die for? No one. But if your pie sucks, they'll all say "what a lovely pie plate you used" hmm.
Slowly peel off the top sheet. Lift the dough and wax sheet up, flip it over and lay it on your pie plate. Gently peel off the second sheet. Press into the pie plate, trim off the excess (which can be added to the other dough for the top. Hey, did you notice, no messy dough to scrape off your counter!

A Day in the Country

Hit the rhubarb patch - oh, wait, if you are from the city..hit your local fresh produce market. You will need about 7 pounds of rhubarb - once you cut off the tops and bottoms, you will have about three cups.

A Day in the Country

Chop, place in a bowl. Add the sugar, flour and egg - mix well. Spoon into the pie shell.

A Day in the Country

Repeat the wax paper process with the other half of the dough, lay it on top of the rhubarb filling. Here is a tip - flip the wax paper dough over after you have rolled it out. You will see that the bottom is always fairly wrinkly. Peel this side off first, then flip it over and lay the wrinkly side down on the pie filling. This way, your pie top shell is smooth.

A Day in the CountryTrim off the excess dough

A Day in the CountryGive it a pinch around it's sides

A Day in the CountryThree slits in the top for the steam to escape.

A Day in the Country

And now, I reveal a secret - this comes via my Mother-in-Law, who taught me to make pie. Take some heavy cream or milk, pour about a tablespoon into your palm, and pour over the pie surface. Smooth the cream out evenly over the top, there can be little pools here and there, then sprinkle a bit of sugar on top.

A Day in the Country

Into the oven 425 degrees for 10 minutes, then turn down to 325 for 25 minutes. Have a peak. You should have a slight browning to your crust - not too much though. And there you go. You did it.

Picture 3

We had a lot of fun, and Jan got lots of excercise pulling my girl around in her wagon. That's the price you pay for being fun Jan! Thanks for coming Poppytalk, we loved having you!!

Jan Halvarson

33 comments:

Mise said...

Yes, I'll have two slices of that lovely pie, please. I think you'll have to show us how to make your apron next. And I always use glass pyrex for pies too, but have lived all my life in fear that people will laugh at me for it. Now they'll never laugh again. That'll show you, people.

A Thrifty Mrs said...

Yum, I want some please!

Great post and fab photos.

Angela said...

That looks soooo good! Great job :o)

Beth said...

Oh man, what I'd do for a day in the country!

Stephanie said...

that pie looks amazing! But what I REALLY want are those adorable aprons

Lindsey said...

I've never had rhubarb, but I think it's amazing. Other things I think are amazing: your photos of that delectable pie, that little girl face, and that super cute apron!

Annie said...

These are GREAT PHOTOS! The little girl is just sooooooo adorable!

Lotusphx said...

Rhubarb pie and Lilacs... I'm in heaven!

Jessica said...

This makes me really happy! Thanks!

Cookie Confessions said...

What a lovely post + great pictures! I've never made anything with rhubarb, this looks delicious!

wishful nals said...

yum, yum! looks like a great time! love the matching aprons :)

Cussot said...

Love! Next time, try adding the zest of an orange and a tablespoon or two of the juice. Adore!

Unknown said...

I adore EVERYTHING about this & am wishing I could jump inside these images right now!

Unknown said...

That is a beautiful pie! I collect rhubarb recipes for my darling hubby who can't get enough - I'll be adding this one to the collection:)

Natasha said...

Mmmmmm- that pie looks delicious!

Lady Grey said...

so much fun! And it looks like it turned out perfectly!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous photos...gorgeous pie! Plan on using that awesome sugar secret one day...love that!

koralee said...

Two of my favourite girls...one behind the camera and the one baking the pie..love this today and rhubarb has to be my favourite...thanks for this today. xoxox

jonahliza said...

that lil red egg holder is the cutest!

emma said...

that pie looks so delicious i'm tempted to make one right now even though it is 9pm in toronto. maybe tomorrow. i can almost taste the rhubarb.

B.B. Bellezza said...

I used to be a country girl, and this reminds me of my childhood. My Gram had rows and rows of rhubarb growing in her garden. Great memories!

Jan Halvarson said...

Seriously folks - that pie was to die for and I'm still thinking about it. The crust was the perfect combination of flaky, slightly crispy on top (due to the sugar?) and the rhubarb was tart yet sweet. I'm so thinking about ordering myself one now on her Saturday pie day.

Unknown said...

Hi Everyone! Glad you like the post - it is my favourite pie to make. The apron ...well, I bought the one I am wearing from a little shop out this way - it was for a little tv gig I did at Christmas. I'll see if I can dig up any info on where it's from. Lily is just wearing a cute little cotton dress. Thanks for the kind words!!

Jan Halvarson said...

Heather, thank you so much for inviting us over - it really was special and that Lily is so adorable!

Amanda said...

Fantastic photographs AND I can't wait to try this recipe - yum!

Re:Design Technologies said...

the images and recipe are so very lovey and rhubarb so very yummy that i think i must go out and buy a plant for my own garden right now. great job you all!

kathryn said...

I love rhubarb pie and I am another in love with the beautiful photos and those aprons!

stationery design said...

Great Pics Looking Cool
Thanks.

tamara said...

Now I have a craving for rhubarb pie! Yum. Lily is adorable as usual. xx

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

Your daughter is definitely the cutest thing in the photos, but after that I can't decide what I like more - the aprons or the pie. Man they both are amazing.

Amber said...

Beautiful pie crust!! :) Looks so buttery!

Pergolina said...

LOVE the young baker. her expressions are so sweet.

Bring Pretty Back said...

The pie looks amazing... but. OH MY GOSH! The little girl is ADORABLE!!! What a sweet post!
Have a pretty day!
Kristintagtat