Easy Zucchini & Corn Risotto

By Jeannette Ordas of Everybody likes Sandwiches

Risotto is comforting and creamy yet it has a reputation for being tricky. I've stirred a few pots of risotto and stirred and stirred but I've never had any true success with it. The rice always ends up more al dente than I envisioned and I wondered if it was really worth all the effort. My stirring arm certainly didn't think so.

But then I discovered that risotto could be baked in the oven and my life changed for the better. Making this risotto starts off on the stove top - sauteing the vegetables and the rice with just a bit of liquid. Once it has evaporated, add in the rest of the liquid, pop it into a hot oven and about 30 minutes later you'll have a giant bowl full of the creamiest risotto to come out of your kitchen. It's perfect! The shocking thing is that there isn't much fat involved so you get the creaminess without all the calories. You can switch out the vegetables to whatever you've got on hand, but I love how the corn infuses this with a touch of sweetness and the zucchini add a good pop of colour.


Easy Zucchini & Corn Risotto
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 zucchini diced
2 cups arborio rice
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup white vermouth or white white
4 cups water
2 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup parmesan
salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 450F.

Heat olive oil in a large oven-proof dutch oven. Add onion and saute until soft. Add in zucchini and rice and cook for about 1 minute, stirring so that it gets coated in oil. Add in corn and vermouth and cook until the liquid evaporates. Add in the water and bring to a boil. Cover and move pot into the oven. Bake until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender, about 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and stir in the butter and parmesan cheese, stirring so that everything is creamy. Serve immediately. Makes 6-8 servings.

Jan Halvarson

6 comments:

Lady Grey said...

this looks delicious!! The colours are so appetizing!

monkeyandsquirrel said...

oh my, that looks delicious!

Kristin H said...

MMmm! Making risotto this weekend for sure:)

Amie said...

This sounds delicious! I'm a huge risotto person...but it's definitely true that sometimes I don't want to do all that work!

Unknown said...

yum! i am loving risottos these days... just made a lemon risotto with dinner last night!

Joanne said...

I haven't made risotto in ages. I attribute it to laziness. Yours looks really creamy and comforting. Great idea to make it in the oven!!