Get Peachy Keen with Pizza

By Jeannette Ordas of Everybody likes Sandwiches


I love pizza and ever since I discovered a way to make my own crust quickly and easily, I can usually have a great dinner made in about 30 minutes. It's way faster than delivery and a whole lot better since you can add just about any topping you want.


When I found a bowl full of ripe peaches staring up at me, I decided to base a meal around them. I dug around my fridge, found some escarole - a good bitter lettuce similar to arugula, and some fresh basil from a local market. I wasn't sure if my peaches on pizza experiment was going to work, but I had fresh ingredients that were at their peak in terms of flavour so I wasn't too worried.


I'm sure if I would have told my husband that he'd be eating a lettuce and peach pizza, he wouldn't have been too keen. After his first bite, however, he was firmly on the peach pizza team. Peaches on pizza? It's amazeballs. Try it! The bitter escarole balances out the sweetness from the peaches while the basil provides the herbal note. Flaky sea salt and a good grind of pepper, along with healthy bits of mozzarella, give this pizza edge. It's perfect, quick and tastes like summer.


Peach, Basil & Escarole Pizza

your favorite pizza dough (homemade or fresh from a bakery/market)
2 T cornmeal
2 T olive oil
1/4-1/2 head of escarole, torn to bits
1 large handful of basil, torn to bits
2 peaches, cut into slices
flaky salt & freshly ground pepper
1/2 c mozzarella, cut into small chunks

Preheat oven to 425F. After your pizza dough has risen, use 1 tablespoon of olive oil to grease up a walled cookie sheet. I use my hands for this. Sprinkle sheet with cornmeal and then push out or roll out your pizza dough until it spreads to all 4 corners.

Evenly scatter escarole, basil and peaches over the top of the dough. Sprinkle with salt and a few good hefty grinds of black pepper. Add mozzarella over top and gently spill the remaining olive oil over top. Place in oven and heat for about 15-20 minutes or until the cheese gets bubbly and the crust becomes golden. Slice and eat hot.

Jan Halvarson

19 comments:

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

This.Looks.Divine.

Thanks for sharing!

Luna Levy said...

this looks unique and wonderful :)

Unknown said...

yum! i have been LOVING making homemade pizzas lately! they are quick and yummy and the possibilities are endless!

Lady Grey said...

This looks amazing! I bet it tasted amazing too!
I love the topping choices... so unique.
oxo

Plantress said...

hey you can put ANYTHING on pizza! how about apples and cinnamon? Blueberries and goat's cheese? It's the blend of flavors that odes it. I have never tried a sweet crust w/ice cream on top but I'll bet it would make a super dessert

Lolo @ The Adventures of Stig and Lolo said...

That looks amazing :) Who woulda thunk...peaches?! Now, how to convince my hubby to eat peaches on pizza....hmmmmm
:D

Unknown said...

Clever,creative and just a tad weird... Experimentation, what fun!

nelly castro said...

For all people love to make homemade pizza. Use flour 00. It is way better!

Jeanee said...

hmmm... interesting. It sure is pretty though.

Anonymous said...

Wow - beautiful looking pizza.
Sounds like an interesting taste.

Unknown said...

This post is causing me to salivate.
It doesn't help that I'm starving.
You know the saying "don't go shopping when hungry"...that goes for blog reading too.

Christie said...

Absolutely beautiful! Love this combo. Thanks also for the quick pizza dough recipe link.

Kate said...

Yum - sounds like a great idea - I've never thought of peach on pizza. Nice alliteration too.
xx

Kalee said...

This sounds uniquely delicious! I live in Georgia and adore putting an inventive southern twist on the pizza. Thanks for sharing!

lisa solomon said...

that noise is my stomach growling

nicole said...

that pizza looks heavenly. oh my. delish.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Thanks SO much for this! I made it for dinner tonight with red onion on top. It's definitely going in to our Pizza Friday rotation. =)

Joanne said...

It's a beauty! Can't wait to give it a try. I have some frozen w.w. pizza dough in the freezer and I bought a basket of Ontario nectarines this weekend as well as a block of organic mozzarella...all I need is the escarole.

oneordinaryday said...

What a brilliant way to use peaches. It's gorgeous to look at and I've no doubt it tastes amazing too. Very creative!