Uniform Natural + How to Live a Single Tasking Life




Today I received a pretty inspirational newsletter from Martha at Uniform Natural. You wouldn't think a newsletter would do that, but it actually stopped me in my rush of email tracks and got me thinking. She mentioned in it how she has a bad habit of thinking about a million things all at the same time and thus kind of walking around in a fog. I do this on a daily basis (sometimes not even realizing it) and find myself sort of left at the end of the day feeling like I didn't accomplish anything.

She mentioned she recently read a very short article about "mindfulness" that she had found that was more helpful than other longer, wordier readings. It is called "How to Live a Single Tasking Life", and gives you a list of 5 simple things to think about to make whatever you are doing the best it can be. Like Martha, I think I'm going to take a look on implementing these ideas come autumn too. (Thank you Martha).



In the meantime I would definitely recommend you keep your eyes on her shop, Uniform Natural as she's been working on some new home accessories printed with wood blocks (top images), which I'm really loving. She plans to also make table runners and placemats to go with the collection. And as many of you know, Martha is well known for her beautiful scarves which get snapped up the minute she lets us know they are in her shop, and this fall she's opening a shop specifically for them appropriately named Scarfshop. You can find out about this new launch by following her new scarfshop twitter account here or visiting her online workbook and clicking on "news". And if you are lucky enough to live in the Minneapolis area, Martha is participating in the Walker Art Center's Local Artist Gift Mart this Thursday, August 19th. It is in the Cargill Gallery from 2-7pm. There are 13 artists participating, with a range of work from Jewelry and accessories to paper and home goods. The best part? Everything at the sale will be 30 dollars or less! She will have necklaces, gossamer scarves (at a special price), tote bags and wall hangings.

uniformnatural.bigcartel.com
mwmworkbook.com

Jan Halvarson

6 comments:

heather smith jones said...

Matha's newsletter got me thinking too Jan. This is a really nice post on her and her work, thanks for sharing it!

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Martha gives excellent advice - I must follow her words.

P.S. I hope the little mag I posted you arrives soon!

Jan Halvarson said...

Heather - thanks, and hope you are well!

Willl - me too! I'm going to check my mailbox today!

Anna @ D16 said...

I felt exactly the same way about Martha's newsletter.

Thank you for this post. :)

Jan Halvarson said...

Hi Anna,

Funny, I thought of you when I saw her pillows. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment here. And I hope we all can be successful with her suggestion.

laura said...

wow, i didn't know she had a newsletter, thanks for sharing. her things (i hate to call them products as they are so much more than that) are so simple and beautiful...