Spicy Sausage & Peppers

By Jeannette Ordas of Everybody likes Sandwiches

I grew up in a household that made most meals from scratch. When my parents would return from the butcher with large chunks of beef and pork and we knew that sausage day had arrived. We'd all take turns grinding the meat by hand, mixing in the garlic and spices and then switching out the grinding attachments to the funny looking sausage-making ones. My brother and I would take turns spinning the handle, cranking out our very own super garlicky sausages. I loved it. Not only, at that young age, did I realize that I was doing something very different from the rest of my friends, I knew that dinner that night would be awesome.

Many years later I became a vegetarian and remained one for a good ten years until I caved. You guessed it, I turned my back on vegetarianism for a taste of sausage. It only took one bite of magical sausage to turned me back into my carnivore ways and I haven't looked back since. My husband and I aren't big meat eaters, but it feels a bit more like the house I grew up in when we've got a sausage or two in the fridge.

Now that the nights are turning cooler, this makes an ideal dinner. You can use uncooked Italian sausage links instead but as I had some delicious already-cooked mennonite farmer's sausage on hand, that's what I used. If you do choose to use some uncooked sausage links, just fry them up until the sausage is cooked before hand and add in the onions, garlic and peppers.

This is a spicy meal and I fully made use of my gigantic bag of dried hot peppers. Feel free to use crushed dried chilies in the amount that works for you.

Spicy Sausage & Peppers
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, sliced into strips
2 cloves garlic, sliced
2 large peppers, sliced into strips
2-4 dried chilis, crushed
1 large cooked farmer's sausage, cut into slices
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 small tin (15 oz) of pureed or diced tomatoes
salt & pepper, to taste

In a large skillet, heat up the olive oil over med-high heat. Saute the onions and garlic until slightly wilted. Add in the peppers and the dried chilies with a small hit of salt and a good grind of pepper. Stir around until the peppers get a bit soft. Add in the sausage, oregano and the tomatoes. Fill can up with water and pour into the pan and give everything a good stir. Turn down the heat to a simmer and cover for about 20 minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened. Serve with rice, bread or pasta.

Jan Halvarson

11 comments:

sfer said...

Hum... looks like! I might try it. I have a question, though: where you say "Add in the peppers, oregano and the tomatoes", don't you mean "Add in the sausage"? Because you already added the peppers on the previous step! I guess it's just a slip-of-the-typing-finger, but just want to make sure ;-)

Thanks for sharing!!

kickpleat said...

Yup, totally a slip, Sfer! It should read sausage, you are correct. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I can tell my husband would love this just by the photos! Im passing along the recipe to him as he is the official meat cooker in our house - Im sure we will be trying this one soon! Thanks

blackdahliadesigns said...

That sounds and LOOKS delicious! My husband and I love sausage and peppers (and chilies!) so we'll have to give your version a try. I too am a recovering vegetarian (lol) and still don't eat meat, but its the tastes of things like fresh sausage that make me happy to be munching on some meat

Jenny said...

I lived in Hungary for a year and a half, and this looks like a very popular dish there called lecso (le-cho). It's so so yummy with the onion, peppers, seasoning, and scrumptious famous Hungarian kolbasz (sausage). My husband loves this stuff. It's so great over a bit of rice or with a hunk of homemade bread to dip it. Plus, if you aren't so into spice, that helps dull it down a bit. To me, this is real comfort food. It takes me back to Hungary and is so rich in flavor. Love it!

Anonymous said...

This looks so good and I love all these ingredients so will try it for sure. Thanks! :)

AJ said...

That sounds super, super tasty! I try not to eat much meat, but sausage is my weakness too. SO GOOD. Anyway, may have to try this recipe :) Thanks for sharing!

AJ

Unknown said...

Oh my, that looks so delicious! My boyfriend just loves sausage...and so do I :-) I'll have to try it!

Unknown said...

Oh my, that looks so delicious! My boyfriend just loves sausage...and so do I :-) I'll have to try it!

Miy said...

Looks really tasty.. should try this one. Thanks for sharing!

Love,
The Picnic Girl

Joanne said...

Looks ama-zing!