DIY With Bookhou: Fabric Gift Wrapping

Contributor post by Arounna of Bookhou



During the holidays when I'm giving gifts I like the wrap to be reusable, most of the time I use our tea towels.  I wanted to do a project that was easy, but still with lots of charm and had a handmade quality.


what you need:
-fabric (I used cotton approx. 24 x 24 in.) it is good to wash your fabric first and to use a -fabric that doesn't have a lot of texture
-wood type (can be purchased on etsy or ebay or you can find some at your local vintage shop)
-ink roller or sponge brush)
-black ink (I use permaset, but speedball brand will work too)
-plexi to roll the ink (if you don't have a piece of plexi - a flat ceramic dish will work)
-spatula

step 1
take the spatula to spread the ink evenly on the plexi and use your roller to roll the ink on the wood type - than press firmly on the fabric.  what's nice about this process is that each print is different and the nice texture, don't worry about it being solid or even, that's the beauty of the print.



step 2
repeat step 1 over and over till the entire surface is covered
let it stand to dry.


step 3
once it dries - you will need to heat set the ink so that when it gets washed it won't come off the fabric, you can either iron the fabric for 5 minutes on med-high heat with no steam or put it in the dryer for 10 minutes.



the technique that I used to wrap the books is furoshiki - if you go to you tube there are great demos on all the different ways you can use the cloth.  this is also a fun and easy project to do with small children.


this project is an extension of one that I did on Bloemsem Kids
arounna khounnoraj|bookhou

Jan Halvarson

12 comments:

Momichka said...

Love the printed fabric gift wrap idea. Awesome!!!

samantha ramage said...

gorgeous and very interesting fabric for the project! i have heard about fabric wrapping, but not designing your own fabric beforehand! bravo!

xo
sami

Mary Burns said...

This is a great idea, thanks for sharing.

Svatava said...

I love block printing

Justina Blakeney said...

the blovk printing looks so edgy! Love also that the gift wrap is re-usable!

Mandy Behrens said...

The fabric wrap is a beautiful gift itself! Lovely tutorial. Cheers, Mandy

me said...

That's such a nice idea - love the design too :)

Charissa said...

Stunning! I write a blog about gift wrapping and have seen so many ideas for furoshiki online, but this one is truly very special. What care was put into all that printing - well done!

Nathalie & Benita said...

this is really brilliant! i've been meaning to give gifts away in furoshiki wrapping but i never do. will definitely have to give it a go!

Allison {Live Love Small} said...

i love this! can't wait to try it out!

Full Cup said...

I simply fell in love with this idea when I saw it! I posted your site on my Friday Link love! I have so enjoyed reading through your blog today and am your newest follower!


xo,

Molly Jane

PS. Stop by and follow me too if you want.;)

www.browneyedcharmer.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Nice one, thanks for sharing the idea, well just in time as I am looking for a new style for a fabric gift wrapping, indeed it's stunning, can't wait to work for it.