Dispatches From Sweden by Fine Little Day

Contributor post by Elisabeth Dunker of Fine Little Day


"A great pleasure when I'm abroad is to visit supermarkets. Actually it can be the highlight the whole trip in my opinion. The best ones are those who have a genuine local range, with odd, exciting packaging. Extra interesting is to check out how the candy looks. I do get happy when I find nice looking candy like these cute crocodiles, which I found when I was in Vietnam a couple of years ago.

Here at Poppytalk I will to start with, blog about good looking candy and packaging that you can find in Swedish stores. Not necessarily all Swedish but what I associate with Sweden.


Between age 4-10 I lived in the same house as a Kiosk in Sandviken where I grew up. I remember how I dreamt of having my own candy kiosk and what kind of candy I would keep in there. If I would get my own candy store today I would pick the candy range primary with my eyes, and here is some of what I would choose.



The licorice pipe "Skipper´s pipe", a classic from Leaf.
Malaco All Sorts from Malaco.
Foam animals from Grahns Konfektyr.
Licorice cats from Bubs.
Chocolate pretzels and ice cream cones from Ert godis.
Salta Katten (The salty cat), also a classics, from Fazer.

Next time, more candy :)


Jan Halvarson

15 comments:

Kickcan & Conkers said...

That's great Elisabeth, I love salty liquorice and those pipes are quite something!

Emil und die großen Schwestern said...

Beautiful little kiosk!

Heidi / I'm with Leia said...

Such a lovely post, beautiful set up and lovely candy - Fine Little day is a favourite :)

PS! Have you seen the wallpaper created by Fine Little Day's son? It's such an instant classic :)

Unknown said...

My dream job would be to travel around the world being a trendwatcher at foreign supermarkets!

Haley said...

I love going to grocery stores in foreign countries! It's really fun how familiar it feels and yet how different it is all at the same time. I remember going to a grocery store in Prague and thinking that it felt like a circus with all the bright colored packaging!!! I'm so excited about this series.

Jan Halvarson said...

Heidi - I have and love it!

Laura said...

It's making my mouth water.

Erin Riley said...

My sister and I loved checking out the American candy during summer road trips. Now-a-days the candy is pretty much the same in Canada and the U.S. - but you still can't get that zebra gum in Canada, which I love.

Jan Halvarson said...

Erin - zebra gum? never heard of it.

Jenny Holiday & Aaron said...

Oh me oh my!! How FUN FUN FUN!!

too cute!! Love it all to bits!!

xoxo Jenny

Maie said...

How adorable!

Anonymous said...

So cute! I really love the way you displayed the candies. It's like a doll house mercantile! Thanks for sharing. :)

Trudy at ModDom said...

ahhh, and sometimes, you don't even need to leave the country! After years of driving by, I finally visited La Michoacana and brought home unique, lovely, interesting candies, cans and vegetables! And, only, two minutes away from my neighborhood.

www.finelittleday.com said...

Thanks for cheerful comments folks :)!

amourette said...

LOVE this post. i feel the exact same way. i never feel fully satisfied with a trip if i don't get to really spend some quality time checking out the grocery store - especially the candy section. i particularly like swedish candy. i have never been, but luckily i have a wonderful friend who keeps me well stocked in Djungelvrål and other deliciously salted licorice.