Chemex Coffeemakers



The Old Faithful Shop blog recently wrote about their first shipment of the Chemex Coffeemaker, and I've been thinking about them ever since. There's a coffee shop nearby that makes coffee using these, swirling hot water around and around ever so skillfully and slowly over the coffee into the filter . The folks at Old Faithful tell us Chemex Coffeemaker inventor Peter J. Schlumbohm applied his vast knowledge of filtration and extraction from his work in laboratories crafting a vessel to pour the perfect cup of joe. Apparantly, the angles for the drip, thickness of the filter paper and the air vent chamber allow coffee to brew in a specified time and release gases that are usually trapped in by other brewing methods. This results in a smooth, bitter-free cup in less than four minutes.

Jan Halvarson

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got a Chemex Coffeemaker for Christmas. It's the best coffee I've ever had. And it's not any harder or more time consuming than setting up the automatic drip.

Karen said...

Oh! I remember these & had one years ago. Thanks for the reminder!

nicole said...

I've oft wondered about those coffee makers...seems I must give it a try now.

Walter said...

Hey Jan,

You must be a clairvoyant because we just received a restock in these guys today! Sold out super fast last time and for good reason - makes a great cup of coffee.

Best,

Walter

Summer said...

I saw that and have been thinking about them ever since too!

Jan Halvarson said...

Walter - really? that's too funny!

Evita said...

I love a cup from a Chemex! I've never owned one because I had access to one in college via a dear friend. After that I got hard core into french presses. I really should had one to our java making arsenal. I love the ritual as much as any coffee making ritual and the taste is superior!

I'm delighted to see that they're having a bit of a renaissance these days.

alexkeller said...

I've never made coffee with a chemex before, but I remember the shapely carafes from my barista days. I keep a French press on hand in case the automatic coffee pot fails ( or I break the carafe) but perhaps a chemex is in order ....

oz said...

we love our chemex...very good coffee and much easier clean-up than the french press!

Anonymous said...

http://rpsaddict.blogspot.com/2011/02/chemex-coffeemakers.html

a blog about the little things said...

I just ordered my Chemex from a Toronto Ontario based online shop (greenbeanery.ca) last week and got it in my hot little hands the other day. I have been Chemexing constantly (so it seems!) ever since. Love its stylish ways!

http://www.teachickadees.com/2011/03/my-first-chemex-experience.html

Camryhybrid parts said...

Good one!!! It's the best coffee I've ever had. And it's not any harder or more time consuming than setting up the automatic drip...Thanks