In Depth with the Artist: Waterrose


Many times I write about artists and their craft, but seldom take the time to actually tell you about all the hard work that goes into making many of their things.  I came across this fantastic piece of embroidery work by Phoenix-based artisan, Rose Waterrose and thought it was most deserving of sharing.  From her "Invention Artist Series", Rose explains her work:

I have hand embroidered/woven each article of clothing and the umbrella. Each piece took hours to make and assemble. The face is dimensional/contoured and is 3/4 inch tall and wide with the details of nose, ears and eyes. The umbrella has copper wires between each section which also give it dimension and keeps the rain off "umbrella man." The bowler hat is also dimensional with the brim coming out from the canvas. The canvas is backed with an archival needlework board.

I made the invention with leather and copper. Leather straps, metal hook and eye, and copper twisted into a rod to hold the umbrella.

The frame, handmade as well, was a collaboration between my husband and I. It started with my idea of a simple copper frame and he ran with it. Distressing, handmade L-brackets, screws and a rod (there is a little secret about the rod). The frame is also finished so that it will not cause any harm to the embroidered piece or your fingers.

Hand-embroidery Brooch, Invention Series Hoop and Wedding Cuff - Waterrose
This piece is truly a labour of love and most definitely an heirloom.  A booklet is also included with the art that explains with text and pictures the artist's process.  To see more of Rose's work including pieces such as her adorable brooches (example just above), visit her table at Poppytalk Handmade this month, or at her etsy shop, Waterrose.

Jan Halvarson

18 comments:

Jessica said...

Truly stunning!

radmegan said...

Oh my god. Im in love with this! Thank you for sharing :)

Alita said...

so lovely work!!

hugs from chile!

Dianne said...

Great ideas! Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to more creative posts.

Rikkianne said...

Umbrella Man is absolutely stunning! I agree, it is truly an heirloom. AMAZING!

MGMart said...

I am admire Rose work so much. Everything she create is so beautiful.
xo
Marianna

crochetgal said...

The work from WaterRose is absolutely amazing!

hoganfe handmade originals said...

Terrific blog post on the talented waterrose - her creations are outstanding!

Bacon Square Farm said...

One of my favorite artists on Etsy is Waterrose, her workmanship is incredible, she thinks outside the box.

akaCINDERS said...

So wonderful! The art and the Artist.

MagicMarkingsArt said...

Rose and her husband have produced a true collectible. I love the idea of having a booklet that explains the artistic process.

amy said...

I adore this! It's so sweet!!!

I love your blog. It's filled with inspirational postings!

keep shining dear




hope to hear from you*
love amy ^.^
www.amyflyingakite.com

Pinecone Camp said...

Oh wow, I just recently gave embroidery a try again...it's been years. Now I think I'm going to pack up my thread and frames and call it a day. This is really beautiful work. I'm going to check out her shop.
Great post Jan!

Unknown said...

I'm familiar with Rose's work - I bought a set of her divine How Does Your Garden Grow coasters from Etsy and just LOVE them :)

silverpebble said...

That little figure is so full of character. The umbrella and flat cap are perfect touches. It's stunning work.

Atelier Pompadour said...

Amazing works!!

Ginny Huber said...

So very nice to see this feature on Rose of Waterrose! I have admired this beautiful piece in her etsy shop and am really pleased to know more details about its creation! Wonderful!

RosaMaría said...

fantastic post!
love her work!