Weekend Project: Updating Your Kitchen for Free

House & Home
I may have mentioned this here at one time or another, but I came across this photo this week and thought the idea would be perfect for a weekend project. Before we bought our townhome, and when we rented apartments, the first thing I did when we moved into a place was remove the upper kitchen cabinet doors and gave the inside of the cabinets a fresh coat of paint (sometimes out of need to get rid of the grime and other times, because I just wanted to).  And when I did this, I always preferred the doors removed, and left them that way.  It just gave the kitchen a cozy feel (plus I never close cabinet doors, so why have them)?.  This is a fast and easy way to update your kitchen and is very do-able over the course of a weekend.  Paint isn't always needed, but sometimes when you remove the doors there is discolouring from where they were screwed on.

I noticed a while back House and Home's Michael Penney did the same to his galley-style kitchen (shown here).  Doesn't it look quaint?  And if you rent, just store the doors in a closet, and when you move out, hang them back up again!  A free and simple weekend project this week.  Have a good one!

Jan Halvarson

13 comments:

Vintage Market Place said...

oooo i am loving this,
I am trying to brighten up my kitchen for spring and this picture makes me want to get in there and do some freshening up!!!
Great idea
Amy

Nathalie & Benita said...

Great kitchen! I love open cabinets. It really does add warmth to the room plus it allows you to display everyday dishes in a gorgeous manner.

Allison Egan said...

Fantastic tip! It really opens up the space and love that you can do it even if you rent! also could apply wall paper to the backs of the cabinets more color or pattern!
xo allison
www.spicerandbank.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Great idea - & with little to no expense! It is so versatile. Love it....

Unknown said...

lovely!!

beautiful kitchen.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful space! Normally I am not fan of patterned wallpapers but here it works and does not at all create disorganization! I also never thought about baskets in the kitchen. Looks wonderful though! I wonder what she/he stores in them!

Yours, Theresa from neu4bauer.blogspot.com

Lily said...

How cute !! Love the wallpaper.

xxLily
goldandgray.com

sarah - dodeline design said...

Fun idea, I love that I could do it even though I'm a renter!

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Love the idea of this project!

Nenaghgal said...

This looks great - love the wallpaper and the idea of open cabinets has always interested me but always felt that you'd have to have it all very well organized and coordinated- might try glass fronted cabinets as an alternative.

Eva / Sycamore Street Press said...

How great is this kitchen? I could move right in and be perfectly happy.

Rachel {little bits of lovely} said...

Love this idea for a weekend project, gorgeous kitchen too!

kait said...

i am absolutely in love with this space - already had to post about it!

thank you so much for sharing :)

-kait