Weekend Project: Family Tree


I received an email the other day from Erika, the daughter to one of our daily readers Melissa in El Cajon, CA of Darby's & Pumpkin's Daily blog. Her mom suggested she email me with her Family Tree project, and I'm so glad she did.   The entire project cost $50.

Materials:
Frames (big and small)
cork self-stick drawer liner
scissors

She says it's quite simple, just time consuming with a lot of it spent cutting.  Using a roll of cork self-stick drawer liner, Erika cut out this beautiful tree free hand using no reference design.   Didn't she do an amazing job?  And if you get a chance be sure to visit Melissa's blog, she has some gorgeous little Cardigan Welsh Corgi's and the most amazing pomegranates (which I've never seen growing before) in a beautiful setting of rolling hills. Thank you Erika and Melissa!


Jan Halvarson

20 comments:

jen said...

What a fantastic idea! Love it! ^^

Monica Robinson said...

That looks amazing! What a beautiful addition to a home.
Thanks so much for sharing!

M x

Lelanie Slater said...

How cool. And it makes such a statement.

Karen L R said...

hmmm...how about adding family photos, so it becomes an actual family tree?

tweal said...

What a super great idea! I might just try doing that in my living room.

Boo21's Mom said...

How exciting that you actually posted my daughter's family tree project! I thought it was awfully nice! And, I'm glad to know that someone with design "creds" thinks so, too. Thanks for the plug of my silly dog blog. I started it as a baby book for my older dog and then kept going collecting a few readers along the way. I love you blog, and truly am a daily reader (and 4 time Color Week "winner".) Thank you!

Jodi Roberts said...

I love this! I am a professional muralist and I could also see painting a tree like this and doing the same thing with the frames. What a truly lovely idea!

SoOhCliché said...

Wow, I absolutely adore this idea !! If I have enough time and motivation I'll set out to do it in my home : )

Joni v(^o^) said...

Great Idea!!!

MagicMarkingsArt said...

simply love this. i think this would be a fun idea in a dorm room too - with a "blended family" or grouping of friends!

chelsea lyn said...

How neat and clever!

Jan Halvarson said...

Boo's Mom - thanks so much for sending Erika our way! Such a great little project!

Estela said...

oh my gosh! I have been looking for something to do in a corner I'm turning into a reading nook and I think this will work.
Thanks for posting it!

1129design said...

wow, I love it!!!

ZEPETIT said...

Que buena idea!

Zepequeña.

Anonymous said...

This will look great in a child's room

Sabine said...

What a beautiful idea! I love it!

greetings from sunny Austria
Sabine

brigitte said...

Lovely! I would add photos of leave, or fruits, or flowers in the frames.
Or change them with each seasons!

Marnie @ Carrots are Orange said...

Beautiful on so many levels!

Kelsey said...

I love this! Do you think that it would work in a temporary situation, like an apartment?

I wouldn't want to mess up the walls, do you think it would be easily removable?

Thanks!