Recipe Inspiration: A Year of Looking Back

By Jeannette Ordas of Everybody likes Sandwiches

Can I tell you how much I love recap posts? I do! I love going over all the recipes I've made during the past year and picking out my favorites. It's funny how a meal can have such an impact and open a floodgate of memories. Here are 12 recipes that I made in 2011 for Poppytalk readers that have become keepers or have helped me to reimagine the possibilities of what I can do in the kitchen. And if you need more inspiration, head over to Everybody Likes Sandwiches for a whole other list!



Crustless Broccoli & Feta Quiche
I grew up eating quiche and I hate making crust, so for me, what can be better than making a crustless quiche? Not only is it a quick and tasty meal, but it's a bit healthier than the traditional option.

Crunchy granola with coconut, nuts and seeds
I'm always on the lookout for good granola recipes, and this one is one of my favorites. It's got a hint of spice and some orange zest and juice to keep the flavours bright.



Homemade Graham Cracker Cookies
Who knew that graham crackers were so easy to make? Not me. These are way better than store-bought and I'm kicking myself for not making them more often.

Oat & Fresh Nutmeg Scones
Right out of the oven, these scones help to make the morning so much brighter. Heady with nutmeg and packed with oats. Get your morning started on the right foot.



Zesty Zucchini & Orzo Salad
This orzo salad surprised me with its bold flavours. So simple to make for picnics and lunches, and versatile too - sub in whatever vegetable is in season.

Carrot & Zucchini Vegetable Burgers
Another zucchini recipe to have in your arsenal, which is a good thing when summer comes around. This is another one that you can switch up ingredients based on what you have and what's in season. Get out your box grater and experiment!



Sea Salt Caramels with Pecans
You may not be thinking you need caramels now, but trust me, you'll want some soon enough. Keep this recipe handy!

Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies
Is there anything more familiar and comforting than an oatmeal cookie? This is a great one, crunchy and chewy. Keep a glass of milk at the ready.



Mexican Corn
One look at this spiced up corn on the cob has me wishing summer can come around that much quicker. This meal is on repeat during hot summer days.

Kale + Couscous Salad
I just made this meal last week and I can't wait to make it again. It got rave reviews from all my friends that tried it and I think next time I'll switch out the couscous for farro or quinoa or millet. Experiment!



The Last Word Cocktail
This is one of my favorite cocktails of the past year. It's ingredients are a bit exotic but it's such a tasty drink. Sweet and tart and it's got a definite herbal character from the chartreuse. It also has the power to knock you off your feet, so drink carefully.

Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream
This is the recipe that blew me away with it's simplicity. You don't need heavy cream or eggs to make a fantastic ice cream. This one is a keeper.

Do you have any favorites from this list or maybe you've found your own keepers! Let me know in the comments.

Jan Halvarson

7 comments:

Glass Horse Ranch said...

I made your apple slaw for a Christmas day dinner with friends. Fabulous! Definite keeper. Delicious dressing. Thanks for the instructions for cutting the cabbage too. Leftovers great in fish tacos.

Anya said...

You've got some nice recipes! I am especially excited about Se Salt Caramels ... yummmm

Karen/Small Earth Vintage said...

Mmmm...kale & couscous salad has been bookmarked. I think I might need that for dinner tonight.

Pinecone Camp said...

Jeannette, you are a talented a creative woman! Your recipes look and are (have tried a few) delicious!

Anonymous said...

Delicious!

Anni said...

I was just thinking this morning od how much I would love a fresh scone. Thank goodness for your post and tomorrow being Saturday, can't wait to make some! I recently discovered a recipe for and made a Blood Orange Olive Oil Cake that was simply divine, not to mention beautiful. It's definitely a keeper and I think you would like it too! The recipe and recap are posted here http://plumanchovies.com/post/15267801384/monday-night-red-beans-with-friends-and-a-cake. Thanks for the great post.

Joanne said...

Thanks for this re-cap! I spotted several recipes that I was looking for on your blog and did not remember they were here instead ha!