Mocha Brownie Bites

By Jeannette Ordas of Everybody likes Sandwiches


You know when you've been having that kind of week? The kind that calls for more caffeine, more sleep and perhaps a bit of understanding? Yeah, it's been one of those weeks. Well, have I got a remedy that works wonders.





Cookies.



But not just any cookies...these tender, chewy, mocha brownie bites. Coffee + chocolate together in a fudgey cookie. It's what your week is calling out for.


I made a batch of these for my sweetie who has been putting in quite a few late nights and many pots of coffee. He was very thankful to dip into the cookie jar for these little treats. A cup of coffee alongside is optional, but highly recommended.


I'm not sure how easy cappuccino chips are to find, though I was able to grab a bag at my local speciality shop. If you can't find any, just substitute chocolate chips for an extra chocolate-y cookie.

Mocha Brownie Bites
I found these cookies a bit on the sweet side. Next time, I'll reduce the sugar to just 1/2 a cup and add in a tablespoon of Italian instant espresso powder for an extra shot of caffeine. 

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup milky strong coffee, room temperature
1/2 cup cappuccino chips (I used Guittard)
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325F.

In a large bowl, cream together butter, sugar, and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa. Pour in half the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, mix, then add in the milky coffee before adding in the remaining flour mix. Stir in the cappuccino and chocolate chips and beat until just combined. The mixture will be a bit tough, so using a stand mixer will make short work of things.

Spoon out tablespoon-sized balls onto prepared cookie sheets (use a silpat mat or parchment paper to line sheets). Flatten cookies slightly and bake for about 12-15 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Makes about 21 cookies.

Jan Halvarson

3 comments:

Alexandra Snowdon said...

Oh my god, I'm having one of those weeks! those cookies look delicious...

Danielle Hardy said...

A cookie in mocha form...how could i not be drooling! Chocolate and coffee is my personal favorite combo.. Thank you SO much for posting this recipe :D

Unknown said...

YUMMERS! All my favorites all in one. I am going to make these tomorrow, for sure!