DIY Mini Copper Planters

Contributor post by Ashley of Sugar & Cloth


{Hey everyone, I'm excited to introduce to you a new DIY contributor to Poppytalk, Ashley of Sugar & Cloth out of Houston!  A lady with a heap of talent that caught my eye, I can't wait to see the fun things she comes up with!  Check out her links at the bottom of this post to visit her blog and new online shop! ~Jan}


I (Ashley) have officially fallen in love with the look of copper. It's minimalistic, rustic, yet still has a touch of glam and you can't ask for much more than that! The only catch is trying to find creative ways to incorporate it into your home without breaking the bank (turns out everyone else loves copper, too). After scouring the aisles of local home improvements stores like a Grade A creeper, I decided on repurposing copper cap fittings into DIY mini planters. Here's how to make your own:




Materials:
Copper cap fittings (in the sizes of your choice)
Bottle of Ketchup
Mini plants/blooms

The copper caps really don't require much attention other than a good cleaning, which admittedly, is a bit of a strange process. First, gently hand wash them with mild soap. 

Now this is where it gets weird: To get most of the tarnish off of the copper in the simplest way possible, lather the outsides of them with ketchup. Yes, you read correctly. The vinegar in ketchup has just enough acidic properties to give the copper a good cleaning. Let it sit for about a half an hour, then rinse. It's surprising what a difference it makes. All that's left now is planting, and voila!

What do you think? Do you have any creative uses for copper around the house? Let us know!
 ****

Ashley started Sugar & Cloth in September 2011 as a blog filled with DIY's, recipes, vintage finds, and cheesy jokes. As a newlywed that had just moved away from friends and family, across the country to the busy city of Houston for more schooling, Sugar & Cloth was her way of staying motivated and accountable to be creative. Soon it blossomed into more than she could have imagined, and most recently formed a small handmade & vintage shop of the same name. 

Jan Halvarson

25 comments:

Santi said...

lovely idea! so nice!

santiroyalhome.blogspot.com

Lady Grey said...

Beautiful!

Pinecone Camp said...

I have a weird thing about ketchup, but I could get over it for this project. So cute - love them.

Rachel said...

Wow, those are super adorable! What a great little project.

Gaby [The Vault Files] said...

Love this, really cute!

Erin said...

I love the look of copper, too! This might inspire me to seek out copper tape and re-cover some existing pots in my house.

@ Pinecone Camp, if you want to avoid ketchup, you just need something acidic, and something to keep it there. My favorite on copper-bottomed pots is Bar Keeper's Friend; before I had that, I used half a lemon and scrubbed some salt around with it.

Sara @ LiteraryLima said...

This is such an adorable idea! Would make a unique and fun gift. Especially like the smart use of ketchup, very crafty indeed!

Heather Belle said...

So pretty! I love these!
xo Heather
http://ahopelessnotebook.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Copper is hugely destructive of the environment. Why use it for something decorative?

spiral style said...

Lovely. Another easy way to clean is lemon and salt.

Anonymous said...

where can i get this copper caps?
thank you
mana

Anonymous said...

where can i get the copper caps?
thank you
mana

Anonymous said...

I love this idea, would you be able to give me the name of the plant you potted? I'm trying to find a nice looking plant to replace my boyfriends cacti.

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

I just cleared away several succulents that were in my milkglass, intending to re-pot them. Now I'm heading up to Home Depot...these are perfect to mix in with my fall decs now! Thanks!

Shalini said...

They look great, but noticing that there is no draining hole at the bottom. Is that not required for succulents? How often do you water them? And how much?

Michaela {au naturel design} said...

I looove copper. I so want to make these. Thanks so much for sharing.

Laurel said...

This might only work if you keep your succulents inside. Copper heats up greatly when placed in the sun and can burn the roots of your plants in no time. I made this mistake last summer and lost a few beautiful succs. Not to be a Debbie Downer, just keep these babies inside and away from heat.

Anonymous said...

So beautiful! Which sizes are used for the ones shown?

Brooke said...

These look great! You can also use steel wool (in just about any abrasive level that's not super fine) to shine these up and add a brushed finish!

Alternately, if you like the aged look, go visit your local metal recycler and pick up some copper with built in patina on the cheap!

Sara @ Fearless Brides said...

Oooooh, how pretty :D They would work very nicely as table decorations for a rustic style wedding (trust me to think of anything else but weddings!).
I think you've just given me an idea for a new theme board :D Thank you! Keep up the good work!

Charlotte Valentin said...

Hey.

I have been looking all over the internet to find the cobber caps in the same size as yours. But I Can only find the small ones :-( where did you found yours, and How much did it cost? Regards Charlotte from Denmark

Bryan said...

Same question here. Where did you find those copper cap fittings? And what size did you use? And around how much did they cost?

Thanks!

Ashley | Sugar & Cloth said...

@bryan and @charlotte

I found my copper caps at my local Lowe's Home Improvement store in 1, 2, and 3 inch widths. They cost no more than $8 and you can find them online here:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_51676-137-CL617_0__?productId=3534184&Ntt=copper+fittings

Hope this helps!

Bryan said...

Thanks!

Zoe said...

Would the copper rust and turn green as you water it?