DIY: Paper Cut Inspired Wall Hanging

Contributor post by Penelope and Pip.


I've been noticing a lot of lovely paper cut posters being pinned lately and thought it would be fun to make a fabric wall hanging with a paper cut feel.

The best part of this project is you could swap out the quote for any of your favourite inspirational sayings and the sky is the limit with your fabric choices too!




Let's get started with materials:


Materials:

  1. Floral fabric (I used 1 yard)
  2. Double sided fusible interfacing + iron
  3. Denim fabric
  4. Neon string
  5. Scissors
  6. Rotary cutter + mat
  7. Ruler (optional)
  8. Pencil
  9. 2 x dowel pieces 
 Once you have grabbed these materials, it's time to create your fabric cut inspired masterpiece!




Step 1: Decide how big you want your wall hanging and cut all of your fabric to size, including the double sided interfacing.

It is a good idea to check your dowel size is slightly large than what your wall hanging will be.

Once you've cut your fabric, iron the interfacing to the back side of the floral fabric.


Step 2: You will need to work out how your quote will fit on your fabric and decide what type of font you want to use.

This step takes a bit of playing around and as you can see above, I decided to practise with some cut out letters first.

I used my own handwriting for mine as I wanted to create a handmade feel, but you could use any font you want. 

Remember to leave some room at the top of the fabric to turn over and sew for your dowel rods to fit through.


 Step 3: Assemble your wall hanging!

Firstly, iron the floral fabric cut out onto the denim as this will make your wall hanging lovely and stiff. This is where the double sided interfacing comes in handy as there is no gluing.

You could just omit this part if you want your hanging to be see through.

Then, sew a little hem over the top and bottom so the dowel can fit through. If you don't have a sewing machine, just use some more interfacing.

Attach your neon string to the top dowel on either side and you are ready to hang.


 This lovely wall hanging will be sure to inspire you every day!

_______________________

Rachael is an illustrator from Brisbane, Australia and is the creator of the whimsical world of Penelope and Pip. You can sneak a peek at her illustrations and see what other projects and adventures are inspiring her on her blog too.

Jan Halvarson

15 comments:

Helen - sittinginthekitchensink said...

Love this! What a simple but effective idea! This is definitely going on my (ever growing!) list of things I want to make. Off to check out the Penelope and Pip blog now...

Elli said...

OH!!!!I love it!!!!Thank you for sharing!!!
happy week!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, this makes such an impact! Definitely want to give this a try.

Allie said...

Such a lovely idea! I love your blog xx

jn said...

This s gorgeous & so true! Jen X

~amy~ said...

Such a fun project!!!

Jessanne said...

I love the floral print & that you used yiur own handwriting! Thanks for the great post!

Heather Belle said...

This is so perfect!!! I definitely need this for my dorm room :) Thanks for the inspiration!
xo Heather
http://ahopelessnotebook.blogspot.com/

Papus Eddyah said...

wow thanks for sharing this, I definitely going to try this out for my new room :)

LARY @InspirationNook said...

Love this! Might attempt to make them this weekend. Handmade art work is the best.

tasha said...

Such a good idea and I love the fabric you have used!
Tasha

www.penandpaperandscissors.blogspot.com

Jessica said...

This is so lovely! I adore papercut designs - and now I'm thinking I might have to come up with some sort of papercut-inspired embroidery design.

Juliane said...

Cute! Keep doing what you love. I have to make everything my own. I make my walls my own with wall art.

Unknown said...

I absolutely LOVE this project! So cute! I want to make one for above my bed!

So inspired by your site. I hope we can follow each other!

<3 Sam

DIY Huntress

Melyssa said...

This is such a great idea! I love quotes and floral so I cannot wait to try this in my apartment. I even included it in a new article on my site, "11 Creative Projects to Make Your House a Home."

Thank you for the inspiration!!

xo,
Melyssa

http://thenectarcollective.com/2013/03/11-creative-projects-to-make-your-house-a-home/