DIY: Papercute Thanksgiving Garland

Contributor post by Penelope and Pip.


With the American Thanksgiving only a couple of days away, this five minute project will have you sorted for decorations in no time!

I spotted a gorgeous new font just released in the last couple of weeks called Papercute by French font foundry La Goupil and of course my garland making dreams were suddenly filled with paper cut inspired ideas.




Let me tell you, this sure beats drawing the letters yourself!

I made this in 15 minutes before I headed off to the studio this morning so I promise it is the perfect last minute Thanksgiving DIY.

Firstly, the materials:


Materials:
  1. Papercute font (it's only $7! Or you could do it the old fashioned way by hand)
  2. Scissors
  3. Felt scraps
  4. Dressmaking pins
  5. Bias Binding
  6. Sew machine or needle and thread
  7. Ruler (optional)

 Step 1: Print out your letters (I did two to an A4 sized page).

 
Step 2: Roughly trim around them and pin them onto your felt and cut each letter out.

This font is so easy to use as it requires no precision cutting to look great.


When you've finished cutting you will have all of these beautiful, colourful letters ready to sew.

 

Step 3:  Pin your letters onto your bias binding.

You could use a ruler here to make sure they are the same distance apart. I freestyled it and the garland turned out fine.

This is where it pays to pin them all first. I didn't and I missed a letter when I was sewing them. Luckily, I realised straight away and quickly unpicked it. Phew!

 

 Step 4: Sew your letters onto your binding and you're done!


A cute and colourful alternative to the traditional Thanksgiving decorations. Hang with washi tape and maybe even keep it up all year round.

Hope you have a great American Thanksgiving day!

--
Rachael is an illustrator from Brisbane, Australia and is the creator of the whimsical world of Penelope and Pip. You can sneak a peek at her art prints and other pretty paper goods and see what other projects and adventures are inspiring her on her blog too.

Jan Halvarson

6 comments:

beh1nd said...

brilliant!!! just love the result!!

Allison said...

This is perfection. And I am loving the colors you chose! So fun.

Felix Lee said...

This project looks easy enough which is perfect for me since I don't have a lot of artistic skills. It's simple, yet is adds so much life to a room. Thanks for sharing, Rachael!

Corrie Anne said...

I just downloaded Papercute the other day. Love it!

Coco Cake Land said...

this is perfect. would be so cute for a kid's room, too! ^__^

Anonymous said...

Awesome...I'm struggling with lettering - could you send me a link to the papercute website plaese...I can't seem to find it!! Thanks or diolch yn fawr as we say in Wales!