phm studio spaces: Nice

nice2

Artist Name: Caitlin Holcomb of Nice
Website/Shop: nice.etsy.com
Blog: nice-etc.com
City: Chicago

nice5

Where in your home/apartment is your studio located?
The second bedroom of a 2 bedroom apartment I share with my boyfriend. I just got the room set up so these photos show the sort of bare bones (nothing on the walls and my fabric and things hadn't yet been unpacked).

nice4

What equipment/tools do you use?
My computer is my most favorite tool. From photoshop to the internet and so forth, it's a huge part of my work process. Drills and dremels have come in pretty handy..my sewing machine, though I have to say, I do a ton of hand sewing.

nice7inspireboard

Do you have an inspiration board, and can you tell us what is inspiring you now?
Growing up I always seemed to have inspiration boards happening at some place in my bedroom, but lately I haven't been needing that. I tend to save random images to an inspiration folder on my computer, and magazines seem to still do the trick (though I never cut them up). I like to quickly skim through my inspiration sources so my brain doesn't become too saturated. The closest thing to an inspiration board in my work space right now is a huge piece of cardboard which I propped up like a science presentation board from middle school! We rent so I didn't want to put holes all over the walls, so I've been using it to pin up my vintage crochet trims and doilies that I use for my light shades. This has been a great help as it allows me to see them always and pick and choose as I go.

How do you create best (e.g. do you listen to music while you create and if so what?)
When I am working on projects for Nice, I have been doing a pretty ok job at making sure I wake up at a normal work day time, though it might still be true that my creativity and work ethic really shine in the evening! It's sort of a battle..haha. My most favorite artist to listen to while I work is Colleen (colleenplays.org), and this has been true for several years now! When I need something upbeat I listen to a lot of old bossa nova and various artists that have stayed in my favorites for some time. Music has always been a huge part of my life and I often tell my blog readers and Etsy customers that if they send in photos of their purchase I'll send them a mix cd in exchange!

nice3

List (3) of your favorite artists:
ohmerci.etsy.com - First, I have to say my mom. She has always encouraged my brother and I to be creative and she is a wonderful inspiration. Ever since I can remember she's been making beautiful things. She is also the kindest person I have ever known.
Henry_Darger - I never grow tired of Henry Darger and his work. I love his story.
urner Classic Movie channel - I have so many favorite artists, so I decided for my last link to instead include a favorite source of inspiration. I absolutly love the Turner Classic Movie channel. If I watch television, it's usually that. I am a huge fan of old movies.

If yours isn't, what would be your perfect studio?
I just moved into this apartment so I'm pretty thankful to have the space I do now. I'm pretty fortunate to have it. But a girl can dream...My dream studio would be in or near where I live, have tons of natural light, painted white wood floors, huge counter height tables, tons of storage, should probably be right off of some beach yet still close to a fabric and art/craft store and probably also near a nice bakery/cafe!

nice1

Thanks Caitlin!

Jan Halvarson

5 comments:

Fiona Cartolina said...

What a pretty space it feels calm and creative. The cardboard screen with the lace is a bit of impulsive genius I'd say.....I'm surprised I haven't seen that making the rounds on the design blogs already!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I absolutely love the rug - any info on where it's from?

Jason said...

Another great peek into the real world of designers & artists we only see online. Great series of posts - thanks again! Jason

nice-etc.com / caitlin said...

wow! these are all such kind comments! thank you so much! :)

Kellie, the rug was a great deal at Anthropologie..not sure if it is still available but it's possible (I noticed they were floating around for a while).

-caitlin

Mona said...

Her space looks so airy and bright which is probably why she can unbottle all her creativity easily...great post.