Don't Hog the Dip!

by Jeannette Ordas of Everybody likes Sandwiches

Everyone is busy this time of year, so it's nice to have something quick to whip up for a last minute get-together. This dip made with red lentils along with a side of homemade pita chips are a nice variation from the standard hummus or fat-laden spread. Plus, it's vegan and relatively healthy so it's something that anyone can dip into. And, if you haven't guessed, it's also really, really freakin' delicious. So be sure to share and don't be dip hog at the next party you go to.

Curried Red Lentil Dip with Pita Chips
1 1/2 c red lentils
2 bay leaves
4 T olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 heaping T garam masala curry paste
1 T cumin
1 t tumeric
1 t paprika
1 T sriracha
salt & pepper

In a medium sized pot, boil 3 cups of water. Add in bay leaves and lentils, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until lentils are tender and soft. Drain and discard bay leaves. Set aside.

In a small frying pan, heat olive oil and saute the garlic and onions over medium heat until soft. Add in the cumin, tumeric, paprika, salt and curry paste and continue to cook over low heat until fragrant and the onions start to break down a bit, 15 minutes longer.

In a blender, add lentils and onion mixture and sriracha and blend until smooth, adding water or olive oil if the mixture gets too thick. Taste and add more salt if needed. Spoon into bowl and serve at room temperature.

Pita Chips
4 pkg wheat pitas
1/3 c olive oil
flakey sea salt

Preheat oven to 325F. Cut pitas into strips or triangles and lay them out onto a cookie sheet. Brush sparingly with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake until golden and crisp, about 8 minutes. Be careful to watch closely as they do tend to burn quickly.

Jan Halvarson

13 comments:

Susan Schwake said...

looks yummy! we are going to try this one!

Ursula Schneider said...

I like the colors. For some reason, they remind me of hand-dying, which I used to do lots of, back in the day.

jen jafarzadeh said...

this looks delicious! I made a curried hummus dip for our last party that was a hit. I'll definitely be trying this recipe.

Giovanna said...

mmm, you're making me hungry. i can't wait to try this recipe this weekend.

Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life said...

YUM YUM YUMMMM! Want to get my food processor out ASAP!

onenicething said...

Thanks for adding something healthy to my snack-filled day, for one cannot live on caramel crunch alone. :D

bowiechick said...

Congratulations on your #7 position on the Times Online 50 best design blogs. Take a bow.

Heather M. said...

I see Anthropologie tissue paper!

This looks quite yummy and a nice hummus alternative.

Kartenlegen said...

Your blog is really inspiring, I love the colors and the ideas a lot. Thanks!

Unknown said...

A friend made this for a girls night in as an appetizer. let's just say I didn't have room for the main course :) i will definately be making this for gatherings

Hope Schaberg said...

I just made this recipe for a craft night I am hosting! It is so yummy. I added a touch of lemon, but thats the only modification. I can't wait to share it with the group tonight!

Unknown said...

This was a big hit at tonight's dinner party. Healthy, spicy, good mouth feel. I will be making this again for my book club!

Nicola Hughes said...

Hi,

I made the pita chips. Instead of applying the oil with a brush (which I don't have) I tossed the bread and oil together in a big mixing bowl for about 1 - 2 minutes. I also used regular table salt (all I had). The result is crispy and tasty. Easy recipe!

Thanks