Yesterday, Everything Mural + Stenciling +



Yesterday took me on a rather interesting journey. It seemed wherever I turned I was running into stenciling or something to do with stenciling, it was just one of those days when the universe sends you in certain directions ending up in the same place. So I thought I'd share my travels. Early on I had heard about Ace Hotel's , new blog, a delight in itself, but also landed upon these fun kitty and bear murals by artist Morgan Brent Wick in Ace Hotel Portland.



Later I landed over at Stencil1's blog via Etsy's virtual Lab, Craft Night. Ed Roth of Stencil1 was doing a stencil tutorial session. And whilst visiting his blog I again landed back at Ace Hotel NYC where he was commissioned to do artwork in various rooms there. (see below).




Above stencil available at Stencil1 or their etsy shop here.


And then I came across a whole post about all the murals and stenciling going on at all of the different Ace Hotels across the US. So fun! And now I'm starting to dream of my own. I'm liking the idea of large scale images like this in a room.Below: Shepard Fairey in ACE Seattle.



Here's a few links I found with a few free stencils one could print out and use on walls, shirts, wherever and a video how-to on making you very own.

Star Wars
Michael Jackson



Jan Halvarson

7 comments:

Kickcan & Conkers said...

Love that bear!

Nicole Follow the White Bunny said...

Wow, those cats are awesome. I like the bear too!

Donna said...

I just found your blog! Love it! Since the demise of so many great design magazines, I've searched for places that have great inspiration and I can't wait to look through all the back posts! These stencils are so cute...I think the sheep are my favorite...

Anonymous said...

ohmygoodnesss, that cat mural is hilarious. love it.

Anonymous said...

i am in love

Betsy Ryland said...

Great Blog! I just found you, and have enjoyed the piece on stencils. Endless possibilities. Affordable way to add content to any space. Love it.

Design Fixation said...

I could NOT believe that the Ace Hotel has a room filled with Andre The Giant. I love Shepard Fairey, so I was thrilled that you posted this photo. Thanks Poppytalk! So excited, in fact, that I blogged about it... http://designfixation.blogspot.com/2010/02/andre-giant-watches-you-sleep.html