Spicy Black Beans

by Jeannette Ordas of Everybody likes Sandwiches

Okay, so a bowl of spicy black beans ain't that pretty. But once you get past the ho-hum exterior, you'll be rewarded with a slow build of flavour. It's like one big tasty pop to the kisser. When I was looking for something to make for lunch the other day, this is what I came up with.

Beans are a staple in our house. It's so easy to prepare, especially when using canned, that it's pretty much a no-brainer. Take this recipe as a guideline and add and subtract freely with what you've got lingering around the crisper or your cupboards. Normally beans are something paired with rice. But this time I subbed in some smashed potatoes instead. It was a bold move but it turned out to be a pretty delicious combo. You might feel differently, so feel free to sub in brown rice or another grain instead.

Spicy Black Beans
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 stalk of celery, finely diced
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
1 teaspoon chipotle peppers, diced with liquid
1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
1 heaping teaspoon of chili powder
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon cumin
few dashes of hot sauce
salt & pepper, to taste
zest of 1 lime

Heat up oil in a medium sized saucepan over med-high heat. Add in onions, garlic, celery and jalapenno pepper and saute until fragrant and soft, stirring occasionally. Add in chipotle, black beans, chili powder, oregano, cumin and hot sauce and lime zest, turning down heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes and serve.

Jan Halvarson

9 comments:

Eugenia Ramos Psijas said...

Wow delicious food!!!

Chris said...

It's look delicious!
"Miam" comme on dit chez nous :-)

see steph sweat said...

always looking for new ways to have beans, looks like a great recipe i have to try.

naphtali said...

Looks great!! It would go perfectly with my recipe today. Maybe I'll have to pair them up for tonight's supper! Thanks!

MaryBeth said...

oh Yumme!
I am a big beaner too and cant wait to give your recipe a try!

Joanne said...

Another bean fan here! Black beans are one of my faves and I do have a can of chipotles in adobo sauce in the pantry that I've been wondering what to do with, so perfect timing. The potato mash looks delicious too - oh, how I miss the potato!

Joanne said...

okay, I just wanted to mention that this recipes kicks serious *ss! I just made this for dinner and I'm enjoying every spoonful! I topped mine with some avocado and sour cream!

kickpleat said...

Yay, Bijoux, so glad you enjoyed this! I think avocado and sour cream would be perfect toppers!

Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen said...

Perfect!!! We live on beans here! LOVE them! These sound delicious!