Summer Sipper | Vermouth Gimlet

By Jeannette Ordas of Everybody likes Sandwiches



I love summer drinks and the quicker to whip up, the better. Gimlets are usually made with gin or vodka, a bit squeeze of lime, and topped up with a bubbly club soda. I decided to switch things up a bit and try some sweet vermouth instead of going traditional and I was very happy with the results. The lime juice packs a nice wallop of sour while the sweetness of the vermouth acts as a lovely foil. Summer refreshment attained!



Vermouth is a strange bird. It's fortified wine flavoured with herbs and spices and available in dry and sweet versions. While the martini is the drink most associated with vermouth, it's also a great alcohol to use when cooking and makes a great substitute for white wine in many recipes. It seems old-fashioned but if you've ever made a Manhattan or a Rob Roy, you know that it's an invaluable staple for any bar. So give vermouth and this summer sipper a try!



Vermouth Gimlet
1 part freshly squeezed lime juice
1 part sweet white vermouth
ice
club soda
slice of lime for garnish

In a tall glass, pour in lime juice, vermouth and add in lots of ice. Top with club soda and garnish with a slice of lime. Sip at your leisure.

Jan Halvarson

8 comments:

Plantress said...

I love vodka or gin in the summer as my go to base. Our favorite is a tom collins. Sadly though, Tom Collins mix is really hard to find these days. Polar lemon lime is as close as you can get...

Kate said...

I absolutely love a cold glass of sweet vermouth: it was all I drank when I lived in Italy (far too long ago). I think I'll buy a bottle today; thanks for the reminder :)

Eliza Lynn Tobin said...

ooh. that looks very summery!

Unknown said...

yum

positdesign said...

oh! I typically simple syrup to counterpoint the lime in my gin! gimlets, but vermouth is an intriguing place to go.

Unknown said...

It's worth noting that, for better or worse, swapping gin/vodka for vermouth would cut the amount of alcohol by more than half (80 proof to 30 proof).

Evie's Tool Emporium said...

My moms favorite drink is a gimlet. On the rocks with a twist! Fun!
Michelle-

Crowandiris said...

LOVE me some gin...but will have to try some of these for sure! bring on summer PLEASE :P