Try Umeboshi! Quick Orzo & Baby Bok Choy Salad

By Jeannette Ordas of Everybody likes Sandwiches


A couple weeks ago I wrote about some pretty rad fish tacos. I marinated the fish in spices and olive oil and I loved that technique so much that I used it again a short while later for another dinner without the taco component & completely different spices. With the main portion of my meal decided upon, I needed a carb and a vegetable so I merged the two with this fantastic orzo and baby bok choy salad. It's vegan so while it went perfectly with the fish, it makes a nice lunch on it's own too.


The unique twist is that I used umeboshi vinegar – a salty and sour brine left over from making Japanese pickled plums. I found a small bottle for under $3 at my local Asian market. It's pink, it's pretty and it's quite salty, so make sure you use it with caution - go with your taste buds and let them guide the way. And don't add extra salt!



Quick Orzo & Baby Bok Choy Salad
1 cup orzo
1 bunch of baby bok choy, greens cut into ribbons & stems diced
1 large carrot, diced
1/2 cucumber, diced
1 large handful of fresh dill, chopped
1 small green onion, diced
1-2 teaspoons umeboshi vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon of agave syrup
a few good grinds of black pepper

Prepare orzo in salted, boiling water until cooked al dente. Drain well. Add into a large bowl, along with the shredded baby bok choy, carrot, cucumber, dill and green onion.

In a small jar, make the dressing but please try only the smallest amount of umeboshi vinegar before adding more. It's quite salty and I don't want you blaming me that I've ruined your meal. Start small and add more if needed. Give everything a shake, taste and adjust if necessary. Pour over salad and give everything a good toss. Serve cold or at room temperature.

Jan Halvarson

3 comments:

SOAP: Design and Photography said...

Yum! this looks excellent!

Holly Knitlightly said...

Mmm! I love me some orzo!

Joanne said...

I love orzo pasta. It has such a great shape and smooth texture that goes well with all kinds of add-in's. I've never tried umeboshi vinegar before but have seen it on the shelves. I am a vinegar pack rat and at this moment I have 5 types of vinegars in my cupboard: red wine, white wine, brown rice, balsamic and apple cider. One more won't hurt, right?