Snack Time: Peanut Butter Oat Balls


Sometimes you want a little bit of something sweet to snack on. When I spied these sticky, nutty orbs over at Shutterbean I was intrigued. Tracy made them for her toddler but I wanted them for myself. What can I say, I'm a 3 year old at heart! Plus, I always giggle at the word balls.




The thing that I love about these is that they are dead simple to prepare - no baking, no fussing. And what's more, you probably already have everything in your cupboards ready to go. They're relatively healthy and you could probably up the health factor by adding in flax seeds instead of sunflower seeds or add in whatever dried fruit appeals most. For me, I added in some dark chocolate chips which got all melty and delicious and upped the appeal factor.

I found that they fell apart and got a bit too gooey without being refrigerated, so I kept some in the freezer and the rest in the fridge. They're the perfect evening snack with tea and they provide quick bursts of energy to keep you going through even the most hellish workday afternoon.


Peanut Butter Oat Balls
(adapted from Shutterbean)
1/3 cup agave syrup
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
2 tablespoons butter or earth balance
1 cup crisp rice cereal
3/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats (not quick cooking)
1/4 cup roasted salted sunflower seeds
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup chocolate chips

In a large saucepan, heat together the agave, peanut butter and butter until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and add in remaining ingredients, stirring well until coated. Use a teaspoon to drop mixture into candy or mini muffin cups. Place cups on a cookie sheet and refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes. Store refrigerated for 1 week.

By Jeannette Ordas of Everybody likes Sandwiches

Jan Halvarson

14 comments:

PaisleyJade said...

Wow - these look fab!!

Anonymous said...

Mmm delicious! Not sure where I can get my hands on agave syrup - would honey be an ok substitute?
Thanks, Hannah

Valeria @ Hindsvik said...

Yum, these looks amazing! And I like how you don't need to bake anything, just melt and refrigerate. Will be trying these for sure!

Jamie @ See You There! said...

I have a similar question to @rubyrhino - would corn syrup be an ok sub for the agave? but i didn't think of honey! would one be better to sub in than the other?

Anonymous said...

rubyrhino & Jamie, yes, honey would work just as well! I'm always weird about adding corn syrup as a major component, but it should be fine too!

kickpleat said...

rubyrhino & Jamie, yes, honey would work just as well! I'm always weird about adding corn syrup as a major component, but it should be fine too!

KC said...

oh yum! i neeeed to try these as well...and thanks for the suggestion about honey!

Coco Cake Land said...

OOOh i would chow down on these so hard. Nice one Jeannette! ^__^

Laura said...

I have made these this evening for my family and they loved them. Thanks, Jan.

Codruta said...

they look yummi :) can I replace agave syrup? can you give a suggestion?

kickpleat said...

Codruta, yes, I noted in the comments above that you can use honey or even corn syrup as a replacement. Enjoy! Agave syrup can be found at most supermarkets now - Costco has it!

shutterbean said...

thank you for the love!! I'm so glad you liked it and I can't wait to try your additions! xoxo

Joanne said...

This is my kind of finger licking good!

Rebecca and Lori said...

Easy late night snack! :) ~Lori